HarvardExeter - Report style

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Hi there,

This is my first time posting therefore I apologise in advance if I am asking a seemingly stupid question.

I have downloaded the different referencing styles and got them to work in Microsoft Word 2007. I am having a problem editing them though. I tend to use the Harvard Exeter style as that is the most consistent with what I require however there are no provisions made to use the report style or case style.

Please help as it is driving me mad trying to edit the .XSL files.

Regards

Coordinator
Nov 10, 2009 at 11:13 PM

There are no provisions for them, because the University of Exeter does not provide any specification for them. Unless someone can provide me with a(n official) document describing how they should be formatted, they won't be added to a specific style.

To get an idea about how the formatting works, start by reading

Some pointers to get you started: citations can probably be formatted the same as for most other entries. So one for Report would probably look like:

<source type="Report">
    <format>{%CitationPrefix%}{%Author:1|ShortTitle|Title%, }{%Year|"n.d."%{%YearSuffix%}}{: %CitationPages::%}{%CitationSuffix%}</format>
  </source>

The same holds for the YearSuffix extension:

<source type="Report">
    <yearsuffix>{%Author:1|ShortTitle|Title%}{%Year%}</yearsuffix>
  </source>

The bibliography part requires the most formatting. The question you should ask yourself first is which fields you are going to use to represent an entry. Author, year, and title are obvious. After that, the choice is up to you. A possible selection could be:

• ThesisType (to indicate the type of report)
  • Department (acts as publisher)
  • Institution (acts as publisher)
  • City (city the instution who wrote the report is located in)
  • Pages (pages you are citing)

The important fields section could then look like:

<source type="Report">
    <b:ImportantField>b:Author/b:Author/b:NameList</b:ImportantField>
    <b:ImportantField>b:Title</b:ImportantField>
    <b:ImportantField>b:Year</b:ImportantField>
    <b:ImportantField>b:City</b:ImportantField>
    <b:ImportantField>b:ThesisType</b:ImportantField>
    <b:ImportantField>b:Department</b:ImportantField>
    <b:ImportantField>b:Institution</b:ImportantField>
    <b:ImportantField>b:Pages</b:ImportantField>
  </source>

And the format string for bibliography entries like:

<source type="Report">
    <column id="1">
      <halign>left</halign>
      <valign>top</valign>
      <format>{%Author:2%{ (%Year%{%YearSuffix%})}}{ &lt;i&gt;%Title|ShortTitle%&lt;/i&gt;}{ (%Year%{%YearSuffix%})}{, %ThesisType%}{, %City%{: %Department|Institution%{, %Institution%}}}{, %Department%}{, %Institution%}{, %Pages:p. :pp. %}.</format>
    </column>
    <sortkey>{%Author:0|Title|ShortTitle%}{ %Year%}{ %Title|ShortTitle%}</sortkey>
  </source>

But like I said at the beginning of the message. This is just one possible interpretation. There is no way of telling if a reviewer would accept this format or not.

Nov 11, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Hi Yves,

Thankyou ever so much for your reply. I have managed to sort out the report style to how I wish.

One further question though. if I wanted an in-text citation of a law case for example:

Forsyth-Grant v Allen [2008] EWCA Civ 505, Env. L.R. 41I

how could i achieve this without rounded brackets and with an italicised title? at the moment mine looks like this:

(Forsyth-Grant v Allen [2008] EWCA Civ 505, Env. L.R. 41)

regards

Coordinator
Nov 11, 2009 at 1:00 PM

The round brackets are an all or nothing thing. They are either around all in-text citations or around none. They are controlled by the openbracket and closebracket element:

<openbracket>(</openbracket>
  <closebracket>)</closebracket>

You could remove the brackets from the elements, but then you would have to add brackets to each of the types of in-text citations you would want them around. Alternatively, you can of course type the brackets manually whenever you need them.

Italics can be created using the html<i> tag. For example if you have a title:

{%Title%}

you can display it italicised using:

{&lt;i&gt;%Title%&lt;/i&gt;}

For in-text citations, the basic i(talics), b(old), and u(nderline) elements are available. For bibliographies, the full range of html tags supported by Word 2007 are available.

Nov 11, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Thankyou ever so much. You have saved me about 2 hours on each bit of work I now Do!

Regards.