Working with Word 2008 in Snowleopard

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:39 PM

I have discovered your facility to extend the citation style and this is wonderful. I have selected the IEEE template but hove can it be installed?

What is the step by step process?

Here is the problem: I have a brand new mac running the snow leopard OS and a brand new installation of Word 2008 for Mac duly updated with the latest pack.

As viewed in Finder there is no directory:

/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Microsoft

Indeed I cannot find:

How shall I proceed?

Thank you

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:26 AM

I don't have access to snowleopard but I doubt the process is different.

In 'Finder', go to the 'Go' menu and select 'Applications'.

Next, select 'Microsoft Office 2008' from the list. You should now have a list with the Office 2008 items you got installed. One of them should be 'Microsoft Word'. Right click it with your mouse and from the context menu select 'Show Package Contents'.

Now select the 'Contents' folder followed by the 'Resources' folder and finally the 'Style' folder. This is where you should put your styles. By default, it contains 4 XSL files. APA, MLA, Chicago, and Turabian.

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Thank you. As you might have guessed I am new to the Mac world. 
I believe that the XSL files will need editing as they seem not to be recognised in the bibliography list boxes?

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:47 AM

That's a bug in Word 2008. It looks like they hardcoded the bibliography list instead of dynamically loading it like they do with the citations.

See for a solution.