Problem with .zip file download for BibWord

Oct 14, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Hi everyone I'm a frustrated 1st year undergrad trying to reference my essay: found your add-on;t ried to download it; get an error message when I try to unzip saying 'it does not appear to be a valid archive'. I'm using Win Xp & Office  2007. Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong or if there's another way to get Harvard into my bibliography styles in Word 2007 please?  thanks in advance for any help.


Oct 15, 2009 at 6:35 AM

I just tried it myself and there doesn't seem to be any problem with the zip archive. Have you tried saving the archive to your hard disk before extracting it?

If you only need a couple of styles, you could download them separately. If you select the "Downloads" tab, there is a list with "Releases" to the right. It contains every style in the zip file and then some.

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Thanks for this Yves - I think I must be not doing something correctly as when I try to open the file I get a WinZip error saying it can't open: 'does not appear to be a valid archive. If you want to add the file to an archive, first create or open the archive  then drop the file again'.

Does this mean I should put the .zip file staright into the the styles folder?

Also, I tried using the Harvard-Exeter* as it appeared closest to what I need - downloaded and saved fine, appears in the styles list in 2007 but returns a bibliography with the same detail as APA, just withoput italics. The example shown on the download window shows fuller information, eg web addresses and access dates. So I downloaded the BibWord Extender and ran this on the word doc with the same results. Can you help please?  best wishes

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:05 PM

No. The files have to be extracted in the directory. Putting the zip file straight into the folder won't do a thing.

The archive was created using the build-in compression feature of Windows which generates standard zip-files. I tried unpacking them with both winrar and tugzip and that worked without a problem.

If you want to display things like website addresses, you have to fill them in. If you don't see the field listed when entering the source, either temporarely switch to a "Source Type" which has the field, like "Website", or extend the bibform.xml to have them always there. The latter is described in the following thread or can be done using BibType in combination with the types.xml file that is inside the zip archive.

The example I think you are refering to had the following fields filled in:

  • Author: Skagren, E. I.; Odberg, B.
  • Title: Predictive factors for 1-year outcome of low-back and neck pain in patients treated in primary care: Comparison between the treatment strategies chiropractic and physiotherapy
  • Journal name: Pain
  • Year: 1998
  • Volume: 77
  • Issue: 2
  • Pages: 201-208
  • Standard Number: Elsevier/ScienceDirect/ O304-3959(98)00101-8
  • Year Accessed: 1998
  • Month Accessed: 2
  • Day Accessed: 8

which results in:

Skagren, E.I. and Odberg, B. (1998) 'Predictive factors for 1-year outcome of low-back and neck pain in patients treated in primary care: Comparison between the treatment strategies chiropractic and physiotherapy', Pain, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 201-208, Available: Elsevier/ScienceDirect/ O304-3959(98)00101-8 [8 Feb 1999].

Note that instead of Standard Number, you can also provide a URL using the URL field.