Two types of citations

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I need to follow the ABNT standard, that allows two types of citations:

• Bla bla bla as Erick (2010) said.
  • Bla bla bla (ERICK, 2010).

The ABNT style found here follows just the second type. Yes, I know it isn't nice, since we lose standardzation. But it's what ABNT want us to do...

I was thinking of how to create this changeable formatting, through a custom option, such as "\x". But I really don't understood where changing on my .xsl about it. Any help, please?

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Unfortunately you can not define custom flags. The only option is to abuse one of the existing flags (prefix, suffix, page, volume, language).

I once made an example style illustrating how this effect can be obtained. You could try to adjust that one: 

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:40 AM
Edited Feb 25, 2012 at 2:40 AM

As far as I've figured out, there's no problem with being able to use both of those; just suppress the author when you want the first type, and write it by hand. But for my journals, there's a third option: no parentheses whatsoever. The way it works is:

Erick (2010) said this. I read it in Erick 2010. The claim is similar to quantifier theory (Erica 2010).

To get the middle one, as far as I know I need to convert the whole thing to plain text. The alternative is to not include parentheses, but then if you add them, Word always adds a space.

I suppose the problem with either option is that you can't automatically remove all of them?