How to remove bold style from citations?

Mar 9, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Hi!

I'm currently using the modified AMA style with Word 2007.

I decided to add square brackets to in-text citations:
<openbracket>[</openbracket>
<closebracket>]</closebracket>

I also want to keep all citations as clickable links:
<citation_as_link>yes</citation_as_link>

But when the above option is enabled then all in-text citations are in bold.
Is it possible to remove the bold style from clickable citations?

BTW, I have to keep all my Word Headings in bold.

Thank you for all advices.

Regards,
Prozac

Coordinator
Mar 9, 2011 at 7:17 PM

The problem is that HTML hyperlinks which the XSLT produces are imported into Word as Heading 2 Character Style. Nobody at Microsoft seems to know why this is. Theoretically you could unlink the header 2 character style from the header 2 paragraph style however there has been a bug in Word back since 2003 preventing this feature to work. As of the 2007 docx format, someone with open xml knowledge can do it by hand.

There is a workaround possible: you can apply a selfcreated character style to each in-text citation. When in-text citations are updated, the character style remains applied. At http://bibword.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Styles_FAQ#Q9 you can find a macro which does just that. The macro is intended to put in-text citations to superscript, but you can easily adapt it to ensure that in-text citations do not turn up as bold by changing the line

s.Font.Superscript = True

into

s.Font.Bold = False

You can apply the macro each time you insert a new in-text citation, or you can run it once at the end.

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:24 PM

I see. The macro is a good working workaround - thank you!

> You can apply the macro each time you insert a new in-text citation, or you can run it once at the end.

I think the second option will be much better for me since I already have almost 200 citations so it takes several seconds to update them all.