Creating styles for Word 2008 on Macintosh

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Hi,

I have been creating a bespoke version of Harvard referencing for use on Word 2007 on XP for use at my university. Using the BibWord XSL templates has been very successful this - what a great tool!

However, some of my students have been asking about a version for Word 2008 on Mac.

I have been able to get the Mac to recognise my Harvard XSL stylesheet as an available style, but my version of Harvard is not then given as a possible bibliography style. I wondered if anyone else has had some difficulties with this and whether they were able to find a work around.

I wonder if it is something to do with the location of the BIBFORM.xml file that seems to determine available bibliography fields in the Windows version (and which I have been required to edit in my Windows version of the style), but cannot find this file on the Mac system.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

With thanks in advance

John

Coordinator
Nov 2, 2010 at 8:24 AM

It's a bug in Word 2008 for Mac. See http://bibword.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Styles_FAQ#Q2 for the solution.

Note that there is a bibform.xml on a Mac system, but it is slightly different from the one on a Windows system. But that file has nothing to do with the issue you are seeing.

Nov 10, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Thanks for the very useful reply. The work round seems highly effective and I am already passing it on to my Mac-using students. It doesn't seem to be an issue for the most recent version of Word 2011 (!) - typical of Mac users that they get to be time travellers as well...  ;-)

Thanks again,

John

Nov 10, 2010 at 4:16 PM
yves wrote:

It's a bug in Word 2008 for Mac. See http://bibword.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Styles_FAQ#Q2 for the solution.

Note that there is a bibform.xml on a Mac system, but it is slightly different from the one on a Windows system. But that file has nothing to do with the issue you are seeing.

Actually, while I'm here... If I needed to provide users with a modified bibform.xml file (for example, to provide them with fields unavailable in the default version), where would I find the Mac version and would it be editable in the way that the Windows one is?

Best wishes

John

Coordinator
Nov 11, 2010 at 12:48 PM

I don't have a Mac around at the moment, but if I remember correctly, the bibform.xml file should be one directory up from the style folder where you put the files.

The difference between the Windows and Mac version is a dimensional thing. Where in Windows you can only specify the row on which an item is displayed in the 'Edit Source' dialog, on a Mac, you can also change the column. This makes things like date inputs look a little nicer I guess.

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Once again - a very useful response.

Thanks a lot for your help, Yves.

John