Thanks for your help. That sounds rather complicated and am not sure how to insert one field inside another. Anyway word has just trashed my document. I was playing with fields and cross references at the time it went screwey, I reopened it and
1/4 of my text had turned to box characters . I have spent the last 7 hours recovering what I can into a new document with as little word magic as possible. I am going through it now replacing the static text with citations. After this
experience I don't feel too adventurous. I rephrased my sentence to get the citation on the same line as the rest of the sentence.
I am not sure what caused it. I did have some text pasted in from pdf files where the citations didn't behave like the rest of the doc and some of the document headers would not appear in the xref list. I think the formating or similar must have
got broken. So I started from scratch and pasted any rescues text into the document as unformatted text, then reapplied the formatting and citations. I am now going to wait until I am completely finished to insert xrefs across my document.
Thanks again for your help.
PS BibWord is great it enables me to use the IEEE style which means my Dissertation almost looks like it was done in Latex.