how to modify

Jan 24, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Dear All,

I am new here. Forgive me if I post again a question already posted.

I have just found Bibword and Bibstyles and I think it is an interesting tool.

I would like to know how can I slighlty change some features of a Style (namely, Harvard).

I see that when I insert a citation in the text body, it is always within round brackets: this is ok when the citation is  in the text, but it is not ok when it goes into a foot-note (at the beginning of a foot-note). So, I would like to change the code in order to never get automatically the parentheses.

The question is: how can I modify the code?

Beside, I do not understand how use BibWord. I have downloaded the guide but I do not understand its use.

Thakns for the help you can provide,

Regards

Gm

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2010 at 2:19 PM

A BibWord stylesheet groups all formatting info into a single place inside the XSL file: the data variable. So to find out where things are stored, just look for

<xsl:variable name="data">

In it there are a number of child elements defining the behaviour for certain sections. You might want to look to the citation element. Two elements are of importance to you.: openbracket and closebracket. By keeping those elements empty, no surrounding brackets will be shown around (grouped) in-text citations.

Note thqt Word 2007 does not know the difference between in-text citations and footnote citations while Word 2008 for Mac does. In the latter case, you probably shouldn't change the brackets of the citation element but rather of the footnotecitation element.

Yves

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Hi Yves,

thanks for the quick reply and for providing me with details.

I will try to modify those elements.

Can you tell me what program open the xsl file, so that I can change the elements and save the modified file again.

Thanks

Regards

Gm

Coordinator
Jan 25, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Any text editor should do. For example notepad.

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Hi Yves,

sorry for the reply. Thanks for the hint: I managed to delete the parentheses.

One more question: in Harvard style, I would like to write the author name in small capital. Is it possible to change the code to achieve this?

Thanks

All the best,

Gm

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Yes. Basically, you add the CSS for small caps around the %Last% variable.

&lt;span style="font-variant: small-caps"&gt;%Last%&lt;/span&gt;

See also http://bibword.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=54459

Yves