Italicised et al. in-text citation

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:05 AM

hi there i cant seem to get the et al to be italicised in the in-text citation. at the moment it is as follows:

A team on the other hand is a type of group form, with a set of collective individuals united in the pursuit of common goals and tasks (Green et al, 2005).

I need it to be:

A team on the other hand is a type of group form, with a set of collective individuals united in the pursuit of common goals and tasks (Green et al, 2005).

i have tried to adapt the .xsl file as follows:

</list>
      <list name="citation" id="1">
        <single_prefix></single_prefix>
        <multi_prefix></multi_prefix>
        <corporate>{%Corporate%}</corporate>
        <first_person>{%Last|First%}</first_person>
        <other_persons>{%Last|First%}</other_persons>
        <separator_between_if_two> and </separator_between_if_two>
        <separator_between_if_more_than_two>, </separator_between_if_more_than_two>
        <separator_before_last> and </separator_before_last>
        <max_number_of_persons_to_display>3</max_number_of_persons_to_display>
        <number_of_persons_to_display_if_more_than_max>1</number_of_persons_to_display_if_more_than_max>
        <overflow><i> et al</i></overflow>
        <single_suffix></single_suffix>
        <multi_suffix></multi_suffix>

But alas to no avail.

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2009 at 12:08 PM

BibWord uses "value-of" rather than "copy-of" in most cases to process elements (there are pros and cons to this decision). As a result, tags are removed. Try using

<overflow>&lt;i&gt; et al&lt;/i&gt;</overflow>

instead. That should do the trick.

Nov 15, 2009 at 11:44 AM

That appears to have done the trick.

thankyou very much

Jun 20, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Hi, I'm using the ISO690NmericalSquare style. I cannot find any "et al" string in the file. How can I apply the italic format then?

Many thanks!

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2011 at 6:03 PM

The ISO690NmericalSquare style is an extension of one of the styles which comes with Word. They don't hardcode string like 'et al' in the source but rather load them from an external (mystery) source. IIRC, the AndOthersUnCap element holds the value for 'et al'. You might want to look for that one, then trace back where it is used and see if you can wrap it in <i></i>.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:58 AM
yves wrote:

The ISO690NmericalSquare style is an extension of one of the styles which comes with Word. They don't hardcode string like 'et al' in the source but rather load them from an external (mystery) source. IIRC, the AndOthersUnCap element holds the value for 'et al'. You might want to look for that one, then trace back where it is used and see if you can wrap it in <i></i>.

I found the template

<xsl:template name="templ_str_AndOthersUnCap" >
    <xsl:param name="LCID" />
    <xsl:variable name="_LCID">
        <xsl:call-template name="localLCID">
            <xsl:with-param name="LCID" select="$LCID"/>
        </xsl:call-template>
    </xsl:variable>
    <xsl:value-of select="/*/b:Locals/b:Local[@LCID=$_LCID]/b:Strings/b:AndOthersUnCap"/>
</xsl:template>

and just one call to the tamplate

<xsl:choose>
    <xsl:when test="$cMaxAuthor > 3">
	<xsl:call-template name="templ_prop_AuthorsSeparator"/><xsl:call-template name="templ_str_AndOthersUnCap"/>
Then, sould I just encapsule the call in "<i> </i>"? Sorry, but I don't think I really got the point..
Thanks!
Coordinator
Jun 21, 2011 at 4:44 PM

If it is only called once, then yeah, just write the <i> and </i> around that one call.

Jun 30, 2011 at 3:13 PM
yves wrote:

If it is only called once, then yeah, just write the <i> and </i> around that one call.

Great! It worked perfectly! Thank you very much indeed!

Jun 19, 2012 at 3:00 PM
Edited Jun 19, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I'm really sorry if this question is asked before but like the posters above i need to have 'et al' in italics. I'm using a stylesheet called Harvard-Anglia that I got on this site.  It's really good but like the example above it calls the "templ_str_AndOthersUnCap" many times.

Actually to be more specific i need to change it from looking like this

(Adams, et al., 2002)

to looking like this

(Adams et al 2002)

Just looking at the example above, I need to get rid of the comma between the author and the year.

I think I saw that somewhere in this forum so I'll have another look for that bit but i'm still stuck on the italics!!

Can someone please help me out.  If I have to write the <i></i> around each call where exactly do i write it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. as you can guess I know nothing about style sheets but i have had limited success using trial and error!!

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2012 at 3:18 PM
agentblue wrote:

I'm really sorry if this question is asked before but like the posters above i need to have 'et al' in italics. I'm using a stylesheet called Harvard-Anglia that I got on this site.  It's really good but like the example above it calls the "templ_str_AndOthersUnCap" many times.

Not possible. The Harvard Anglia style on this site is a BibWord style. It does not use templ_str_AndOthersUnCap. That template function is specific for the bibliography styles which come with Word by default.

First thing you need to figure out is what type of style you are using. If it is a BibWord one, then there should be an overflow tag liked described in the original answer. If it is not a BibWord style, then you will have to look around yourself. There is a good chance of achieving what you want by following the suggestions in Atcold's post.