Comma in title in IEEE Alphabetical Order

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:18 PM

The titles of the references in the bibliography are displayed with a comma attached, like this:

... Van Wijk, "Squarified treemaps," in Proceedings of the joint Eurographics ....

... Jackson, "Using dependency models to manage complex software architecture," , 2005, .....

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I'm not sure what the point of your message is.

Are your examples of what you did get from the stylesheet or what you expected from it? Could you provide an example of what the stylesheet gave and what you expected?

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Well I would expect a title in the bibliography to be "this is the title" and not "this is the title," . Note the comma before the closing ".

So: 

... Van Wijk, "Squarified treemaps," in Proceedings of the joint Eurographics ....

... Jackson, "Using dependency models to manage complex software architecture," , 2005, .....

Should be:

... Van Wijk, "Squarified treemaps" in Proceedings of the joint Eurographics ....

... Jackson, "Using dependency models to manage complex software architecture" , 2005, .....

Or is it just me?

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2009 at 7:38 PM

It's you. See the IEEE style manual:

Periodicals (p. 6, example 4):

H. Eriksson and P. E. Danielsson, "Two problems on Boolean memories," IEEE Trans. Electron. Devices, vol. ED-11, pp. 32–33, Jan. 1959.

Books (p. 7, example 3):

R. L. Myer, "Parametric oscillators and nonlinear materials," in Nonlinear Optics, vol. 4, P. G. Harper and B. S. Wherret, Eds. San Francisco, CA: Academic, 1977, pp. 47-160.

There is an error though where you see the ' ," , '. That's because you are not providing enough parameters. The style can handle a number of missing parameters, but not all of them.