Adding \s and \v switches in Word 2008

Sep 17, 2009 at 10:23 PM

I am writing my dissertation using Word 2008 on a mac and the Harvard style from this project.  Generally the experience had been great.  Everyone complains about the Citation and Bibliography features in Word but I've found them quite usable -- especially since I have the Harvard style.

My only problem I have is with the Word 2008 "Edit This Citation" dialog.  It only allows me to add page numbers to citations (\p switch) and prevents me from manually edit the field codes to add \s or \v switches.

Can I use the configuration xml to configure the Edit This Citation dialog to support suffix and volume as well as pages?  Or is there a way to disable the Edit This Citation dialog and edit the field codes by hand?

John

Coordinator
Sep 18, 2009 at 7:52 AM

I don't think you can edit the dialog. As far as I can tell, it's hardcoded inside Word in both the Windows and Mac version. But to be honest, I only really looked into the Windows version.

I think the only possibility to add those flags, is to show the field codes, edit those, and then hide the field codes again. At least that is how I do it in Word 2007. Showing or hiding the field codes in Word 2008 is done pressing OPTION+F9 if I remember correctly.

Sep 18, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Thanks Yves, but for some reason I can't edit the citation field codes.  I get a message saying that the document is locked for edit.  I've raised this on the Mactopia forum.

Coordinator
Sep 18, 2009 at 12:07 PM

That's strange. It is normal that in-text citation are locked, but when they are displayed as field codes you should be able to edit them. I just tried this in Word 2007 (don't have a Mac around atm) without problems.