Problem with authors in one line

Sep 5, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Hi,

i've got the following problem:

My girlfriend wrote all authors in one author line separated by ",".

For example: A. Weng, B. Zang, E. Wu

Is it possible to get an unformatted output? I don't want to use %First%, %Middle% or %Last% - i just want to output the whole string without any change.

Thank you in advance.

Coordinator
Sep 5, 2009 at 3:03 PM

There is no such thing as an 'unformatted output'. If you know how your input is stored internally, you can probably come up with a solution on how to display your authors exactly as you inputted them.

The following explains how Word processes your input and what the stylesheet (BibWord) gets:

When you create a source with a list of names in the author field, Word uses the functionality in Author2XML.xsl (commonly located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Bibliography) to transform your single line of text into a piece of XML code looking as follows:

<b:NameList>
  <b:Person>
    <b:First>Thomas</b:First>
    <b:Middle>Alva</b:Middle>
    <b:Last>Edison</b:Last>
  </b:Person>
    <b:First>Franklin</b:First>
    <b:Last>Benjamin</b:Last>
</b:NameList>

This code is stored inside your document in a separate file (a Word 2007 document is nothing more than a zip file containing several files). Now when you want to format a citation or bibliography, Word grabs part/all of that file and passes it along to another stylesheet. So that stylesheet, responsible for the formatting, actually gets the names formatted as shown above. How they look depends on what Author2XML.xsl created out of your input.

In your case, the input will be mangled because you didn't enter the authors correctly. So it might very well be (I didn't check this) that the result of your input is:

<b:NameList>
    <b:First>B. Zang, E. Wu</b:First>
    <b:Last>A. Weng</b:Last>
</b:NameList>

In which case you get your result back with a {%Last% }{%First% }. But that is only a guess, you will have to check how your names are stored internally.