Bug in APA - Square Brackets - One Author

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:29 PM

I'm using the "APA - Square Brackets - One Author" style. When citing the following reference inline, I get a space before the first author name.

Inline: [ Connon, et al., 2002]

Bibliography: Connon, S. A., & Giovannoni, S. J. (2002). High-throughput methods for culturing microorganisms in very-low-nutrient media yield diverse new marine isolates. Applied Environmental Biology , 68, 3878–3885.

Pubmed ID: 12147485

Two other questions I have:

1. Where can I find a good reference/tutorial for creating my own styles.

2. Is there a way to group references together in MS Word 2007, i.e. [Connon, et al., 2002; Smith, et al., 2003] ?

Help with any of these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Dan

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2009 at 10:53 PM

1)I do not get any leading space between the bracket and the first citation so I can't really help you with this. Maybe you put a leading space in your source entry. Or are you trying to type the brackets manually (doubtful if you are using that style). If so, the space is probably a byproduct of the insertion mechanism.

2)There isn't much information available. There are 2 blog postings on the topic from MS:

Alternatively, you might want to look into BibWord (this project). It is my attempt at concentrating whatever needs changing between styles in a small portion of 'easy to edit' code. The latest version, including the manual can be found here. And you can also find a dozen styles using this template on this site.

3)See http://bibword.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?title=FAQ#Q1 on grouping in-text citations.

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Thanks Yves - those links look promising. I'll check them out : )