Citation - Author outside the brackets

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:56 AM
Edited Sep 1, 2009 at 7:58 AM

I'm very glad I've found your helpful tool. Thank you very much for your efforts.

I'm writing my master thesis and I need to change the citation style according to my proffessor's rules.

I need to have citations in the footnotes like this:

Kim/Verrecchia (1997)

instead of

(Kim & Verrecchia, 1997)

I've tried with this code in APA, but it didn't work out:

<separator>/ </separator>

<source type="JournalArticle">
        <format>{%Author:1%}{%CitationPrefix%}{ %Year%{%YearSuffix%}}{, %CitationVolume%}{, %CitationPages:p.:pp.%}{%CitationSuffix%}</format>

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Sep 1, 2009 at 11:45 AM

The APA styles comes with Word 2007, it is not a BibWord style. So copy and pasting a data element into APA.xsl won't achieve a single thing.

That aside, in BibWord the "separator" element is used to define the separator between multiple grouped in-text citations. So with your "/ ", you would get something like:

(Kim, 1997/ Parker, 1998/ Thomson, 1996)

What you want to change is the separator between authors. Your author is formatted using list 1 (as in %Author:1%). And list 1 could look like this for example:

<list name="citation_author" id="1">
        <separator_between_if_two> & </separator_between_if_two>
        <separator_between_if_more_than_two>, </separator_between_if_more_than_two>
        <separator_before_last> & </separator_before_last>
        <overflow>, et al.</overflow>

What you want to play around with are the values of separator_between_if_two, separator_between_if_more_than_two, and separator_before_last. Also the max_number_of_persons_to_display and number_of_persons_to_display_if_more_than_max might be of interest to you.

CitationPrefix contains the value which is specified by the \f flag in the field code in Word. It has nothing to do with the surrounding brackets. If you don't want the brackets leading and trailing a group of in-text citations, you have to empty the openbracket and closebracket elements.

Something along the following lines (with list 1 adjusted to your needs) should be what you are looking for:

<format>{%CitationPrefix% }{%Author:1%} ({%Year%{%YearSuffix%}}{, %CitationVolume%}{, %CitationPages:p.:pp.%}){%CitationSuffix%}</format>

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:49 PM
Edited Sep 1, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Hello yves,

thank you so much for your help.

I took the Harvard AGPS style and managed to edit everything the way you suggested. Now I'm almost finished, there is only one thing - in the bibliography at the end I need the year twice, e.g.

Barron, Orie E. / Kim, Oliver / Lim, Steve C. / Stevens, Douglas E. (1998): Using Analysts' Forecasts to Measure Properties of Analysts' Information Environment, in: The Accounting Review, Vol. 73, No. 4, 1998, S. 421-433.

...but i get the year only once (the green and not the red)

here is the code:

<format>{&lt;b&gt;%Author:3% ({%Year%{%YearSuffix%}}):&lt;/b&gt; }{%Title|ShortTitle%}{, in: &lt;i&gt;%JournalName%&lt;/i&gt;}{, Vol. %Volume%}{, No. %Issue%}, { %Year%} {, %Pages:p.:S. %}{, viewed {{%DayAccessed% }%MonthAccessed:s% }%YearAccessed%}{, &lt;%URL:l%&gt;}{, %Comments%}.</format>

Sep 1, 2009 at 9:28 PM

By default BibWord only allows you to use each parameter once. This gives some powerful conditional formatting capabilities. By adding the "r" option to a parameter, you can mark the parameter as being reusable at a later time. This can be a limit in the conditional syntax for really complex queries, but in your case, it should not have any consequences.

<format>{&lt;b&gt;%Author:3% ({%Year:r%{%YearSuffix%}}):&lt;/b&gt; }{%Title|ShortTitle%}{, in: &lt;i&gt;%JournalName%&lt;/i&gt;}{, Vol. %Volume%}{, No. %Issue%}, { %Year%} {, %Pages:p.:S. %}{, viewed {{%DayAccessed% }%MonthAccessed:s% }%YearAccessed%}{, &lt;%URL:l%&gt;}{, %Comments%}.</format>

Sep 1, 2009 at 9:50 PM
Edited Sep 1, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Thank you so much - everything is perfect now :-)