Sugestions for ABNT styles

Jun 29, 2009 at 4:31 AM

Hi. I have a couple of suggestions:

Acording to ABNT NBR 6023-2002 section 6.3, the bibliography should be left aligned, not justified. That can be changed in the styles box, I know, but if it could be included in the xml would be nice. Also it should use single space between lines and double space between references.

ABNT NBR 10520-2002 section 6.2 says that if you are using the numerical system you should either use superscript or put the numbers between parenthesis. In your style it uses square brakets. Just a small change to the <openbracket> and <closebracket>.

Finally, the rules say that you should use arabic numbers for the reference list, but it does not specify the style. But the only example provided is like this:

1 CRETELLA JÚNIOR, José. Do impeachment no direito brasileiro.
[São Paulo]: R. dos Tribunais, 1992. P. 107.

2 BOLETIM ESTATÍSTICO [da] Rede Ferroviária Federal. Rio de
Janeiro, 1965. p. 20.

It is just the number and a space. No dot. Again just a change to <format>%RefOrder%.</format>. It is also all left aligned. The second line is all the way to the left.

Like this:

And not like this:

But this last suggestion is based only on the example provided. The text itself says nothing about how the numbers should be formated.

I could send you these ABNT documents if you want. They are in Portuguese, so I could help translating some parts.

Hope I could help. Thank you for your great work.

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2009 at 7:08 PM
Edited Jun 29, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I don't speak Portugese but I do have the original document and a translation.

Quote:
Acording to ABNT NBR 6023-2002 section 6.3, the bibliography should be left aligned, not justified. That can be changed in the styles box, I know, but if it could be included in the xml would be nice. Also it should use single space between lines and double space between references.

Although it is possible to directly implement this in the XSLT, this would violate expected style behaviour in Word and I therefore will not do it. People developing a template for ABNT style papers in Word should ensure that the "Bibliography" style has the correct format just like they should do for the style used to display the title for example.

Quote:
ABNT NBR 10520-2002 section 6.2 says that if you are using the numerical system you should either use superscript or put the numbers between parenthesis. In your style it uses square brakets. Just a small change to the <openbracket> and <closebracket>.

According to the document I have, 6.2 only refers to examples in 7 and 8. So I'm not sure where you get that information regarding the use of round parenthesis instead of square brackets. I will provide a version with parenthesis instead of square brackets on the site though (might take me a day or two because of the other changes).

Quote:
It is just the number and a space. No dot. Again just a change to <format>%RefOrder%.</format>. It is also all left aligned.

I get the feeling that there is no clear definition of how to format a bibliography when reference numbers are used. For example, http://www.leffa.pro.br/textos/abnt.htm contains contradicting examples on the same page:

1. ASSOCIAÇÃO BRASILEIRA DE NORMAS TÉCNICAS. NBR 6023: Informação e Documentação - Referências - Elaboração. Rio de Janeiro: ABNT, 2000.
    2. CÓDIGO de catalogação Anglo-Americano. Brasília: Edição dos tradutores, 1969.
    3. DUPAS, Maria Angélica. Pesquisando e normalizando: noções básicas e recomendações úteis para elaboração de trabalhos científicos. São Carlos: UFSCAR, 1997. 78 p.
    4. ENCONTRO Nacional de normalização de trabalhos técnicos, científicos e culturais. Niterói, 1989. Manual de normalização, Niterói: UFF/NDC, 1992. 300 p.
    5. FERREIRA, Sueli Mara S.P. ; KROEFF, Márcia. Referências bibliográficas de documentos eletrônicos. São Paulo: APB, 1996. 2 v. (Ensaios APB, n. 35-36).
    6. FRANÇA, Júnia Lessa. Manual para normalização de publicações técnico-científicas.  Belo Horizonte: UFMG, 1990, 168 p. (Coleção Aprender).
    7. KRAEMER, Lígia Leindorf Bartz et al. Referências bibliográficas de informações e documentos eletrônicos: uma contribuição para a prática. Curitiba: [S.n.], 1996.
    8. PUCCAMP. Faculdade de Biblioteconomia. Referências bibliográficas: disque-biblio. Campinas, 1997. 15 p.
    9. SAVI, Maria Gorete M. Referências e citações bibliográficas segundo a ABNT. Florianópolis, 1994. Transparências.
    10. UNIVERSIDADE FEDERAL DO PARANÁ.   Biblioteca Central. Normas para apresentações de trabalhos: referências bibliográficas. 6. ed. Curitiba, 1996. v. 6.

AND

6 LAKATOS, Eva Maria; MARCONI, Marina de Andrade. Fundamentos de metodologia científica. 3. ed. rev. São Paulo: Atlas, 1991.

7 MARCONI, Marina de Andrade; LAKATOS, Eva Maria. Metodologia do trabalho científico: procedimentos básicos; pesquisa bibliográfica, projeto e relatório; publicações e trabalhos científicos. 5. ed. São Paulo: Atlas, 2001.

8 PEROTA, Maria Luiza Loures Rocha et al. Referências bibliográficas NBR 6023: notas explicativas. 3. ed. Niterói: EDUFF, 1997.

Quote:
The second line is all the way to the left.

According to the last sentence of 6.3 it isn't. The first letter of the second line should be at the same position as the first letter of the first word on the first line (and thus not at the same position of the reference number). Hence, in case reference numbers are used, the second line should not start under the number but rather a bit more to the right. This would imply that the second set of examples above is incorrect. So only the first set might then be correct.

However, the extra style I will add will support the second format next to the parenthesis.

Coordinator
Jul 5, 2009 at 8:13 PM

I uploaded a second version of the numerical style to http://bibword.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=27212