Separator between grouped citations

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:21 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2015 at 3:33 PM
Dear Yves
I have followed your instruction to insert a separator between citations using the following code

<xsl:if test="not(/b:Citation/b:LastAuthor)">
<!-- Comment: place your citation separator here. -->
<xsl:text>;</xsl:text>
</xsl:if>

But it is not working - I have tried for Nature as well as for ACM-Citation Sequence, in both the cases the separator is not being printed.

Here is the output as shown by ACM-Citation Sequence

It has also proved to be effective in protein classification [11] and gene expression-based cancer subtype discovery [12] [13] [5] [14] [1].

And the output by Nature

It has also proved to be effective in protein classification 11 and gene expression-based cancer subtype discovery 12 13 5 14 1.

What I have noticed is that the statement

if test="not(/b:Citation/b:LastAuthor)"

is not getting executed.

Can you help me out please?
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2015 at 6:51 PM
Those are BibWord styles. For those type of styles, you just need to update the separator element.

For example, for the one from ACM-Citation Sequence, look for
<separator>,</separator>
Just change the comma to whatever you want.
Mar 6, 2015 at 1:33 AM
Dear Yves

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I have infact tried to replace the comma within the separator tags with semi-colon - that did not work and then had gone through all the discussions and FAQs, but still I could not get a solution. hen only I tried to replace with <xsl:text>;</xsl:text>

Please correct me if I am wrong but if you will notice, the output by the default ACM-Citation Sequence does not show the comma between the citations, i.e., it appears as [12] [13] [5] [14] [1] instead of appearing as [12], [13], [5], [14], [1].
It has also proved to be effective in protein classification [11] and gene expression-based cancer subtype discovery [12] [13] [5] [14] [1].
Same is the case of the output by Nature: appears as 12 13 5 14 1 instead of 12, 13, 5, 14, 1.
It has also proved to be effective in protein classification 11 and gene expression-based cancer subtype discovery 12 13 5 14 1.
Where am I going wrong? Is it that the statement
if test="not(/b:Citation/b:LastAuthor)"
is not getting executed?

Thank you for your patience!
Coordinator
Mar 6, 2015 at 9:58 AM
From the example you are giving, it looks like you are not grouping your in-text citations in Word but just entering them one by one. See FAQ Q1 on how to group citations in Word.
Mar 6, 2015 at 1:07 PM
Yes, you were correct, Yves! I was entering the citations one by one - no wonder they were being considered as single citations! Now after entering them the correct way, the problem is solved.
It has also proved to be effective in protein classification 12 and gene expression-based cancer subtype discovery 13,14,6,4,1.
Thanks a ton!