Changing the manner in which citations are displayed in the main text

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:12 AM
Dear all,

I have a problem with citations in words. In all styles I have tried so far citations in the main text are at best displayed as "(Author, 2001)". However, I would like to get it automatically as "Author (2001)". Is this possible?

Is there a style that does this automatically?
Can I program this myself?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance,
Feb 25, 2015 at 1:01 PM
Edited Feb 25, 2015 at 1:01 PM
BibWord is designed to create your own styles. So yes, you can create this yourself.

Using a BibWord style, removing the surrounding brackets would be as simple as letting the openbracket and closebracket elements empty.
      <!-- a lot of other code -->
Then, in the formatting of an in-text citation, you just specify that the year has to be between brackets. So something like below
       <source type="Book">
        <format>{%Author:0%{ (%Year%)}}</format>
Feb 28, 2015 at 7:14 AM
Hi Yves,

Thanks very much for your software, it's so much easier than trying to understand Microsoft's XML code!

Further to mohelm's question, is it possible to use a switch to toggle between the two styles? I don't need to use the "suppress title" option, so was hoping to use it for a different purpose, i.e. when unselected the citation appears as "(Author, 2001)", and when selected it appears as "Author (2001)".

If this is not possible, is there another option, e.g. using the "\f" switch mentioned on page 15 of your manual?

Mar 14, 2015 at 6:13 AM

Just wondering if this is possible?
If not, that's fine as I can manually work around it. It would just be more elegant to include it in the code.

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:22 AM
It is but it will require you to do some programming.

The xml being processed by the xslt will contain a /b:Citation/b:PagePrefix element if you specify a \f. But without testing I would expect that element to be empty if you didn't provide an actual prefix. You would be better of using one of the suppression flags (/b:Citation/b:NoAuthor, /b:Citation/b:NoTitle, or /b:Citation/b:NoYear).

In BibWord, the format-citation is responsible for all formatting of in-text citations. You will find the different flags being used in there if you want some examples.
Mar 15, 2015 at 10:47 PM
Thanks Yves, I'll look into it.