Vancouver style is outdated

May 19, 2009 at 2:03 AM
Edited May 19, 2009 at 3:31 AM

Hello Yves. How are you?

I just downloaded the file about Vancouver Bibliography: Vanvouver.xsl, and I like very much.  However, unfortunately, that kind of citations and bibliography is already outdated. As you can see, at the Vancouver Group site, now known as International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (, they just published new uniform requirements. In the “IV.A.9.b. Reference Style and Format” paragraph they use the style from NLM’s Citing Medicine, at the link

So, if possible, can you update the Vancouver.xsl file about the new uniform requirements?

Everybody who use this bibliography style will be very happy!

Thank you very much!

I’m looking forward your answer!

Renato Lopes

May 19, 2009 at 9:57 PM

I'm going to look into it when I have some time. So don't expect anything real soon.

In the mean time, if the changes are minor, you might try to fix them yourself. More information on how the formatting works (including all variables), can be found in the BibWord guide.

Jun 6, 2009 at 9:21 PM

I managed to change it. It was pretty straightforward using notepad. The hardest part was finding the relevant pieces of punctuation that I wanted to delete (some spaces, full stops, and the p. before the page range). I just did it for 'journal articles'.

My next challenge is to find and delete the brackets around the in-text citations, but they are harder to find! And after that, find a way to import PubMed citations into Word . . .

Thank you to Yves for doing this stuff!

Jun 6, 2009 at 10:13 PM

BibWord uses the "openbracket" and "closebracket" elements under the citation element to decide on the brackets to display. If you leave those elements empty, no brackets will be shown around in-text citations. The "separator" element decides on the separator to show when multiple citations are grouped together.

The following add-in claims to import PubMed citations into Word: (download somewhere halfway the article). I requires an internet connection though because the conversion is done remotely. I haven't tested it, mainly because I want to analyze first what it sends home before I trust it to actually send something home.

Nov 30, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Thanks -- I found and removed the brackets.

Also, I followed up on R Agrawal's useful webpage that you listed, and found a way to import PubMed citations into Word 2007. You have to join and import the PubMed citations into Memento. You can then export the citation(s) as a Word XML file.