APA without space minor get-up

May 9, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Hello Yves and all. Greetings from Portugal

I want to get a really minor get-up in the "APA without space" citation style. I just want to change the way the first author is displayed in a bibliography.

Now we have this: Carlos, J. (2004)

I want this: CARLOS, João L. (2004)

I need to capitalize surname and have complete first name and the initial of middle name. I know how to open the citation file produced by BibWord, with a text editor, but being not a programmer I get lost in the APASpace.XSL 9946 lines file. With some orientation, maybe I could edit it myself. Thanks.

Coordinator
May 9, 2009 at 1:18 PM

That style is not a BibWord style (meaning it is a mess to edit). It is a simple adaptation of the APA file that came with Word 2007. I no longer play around with those as they are too complex to handle.

That said, I can point you in the direction as to where to look. There is a template called "formatMainAuthor". In it there is a call to a template which does the actual name formatting. It takes the format (depending on the available elements) as input. I would think that it is just a matter of replacing those with your own definition. Something along the line of "%L, %F %m" and upperLast set to 'yes' might do the trick for you. 

Yves

May 9, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Hello Yves,

Thanks for your answer. This is even harder than I thought. I tried  but I can´t produce any affect.

Now I opened Harvard-Leeds and it was made by you; I could get there from Harvard-Leeds too with 4 small changes, but I am not sure if I can do it, even going over BibWord documents for hours. At this point someone should be doing such kind of work for a small shareware fee.

Harvard-Leeds, It now produces this:

BORGMAN, Christine L. (ed). 1990. Scholarly Communication and Bibliometrics. Newbury Park: Sage Publications.
DEROUET, Jean-Louis. 2000. Une science de l'administration scolaire est-elle possible? Revue Française de Pédagogie. 130, pp.5-14.
MUCCHIELLI, Roger. 1991. L'Analyse de Contenu des Documents et des Communications. Paris: Éditions ESF.

I wanted this:

BORGMAN, Christine L. (ed) (1990). Scholarly Communication and Bibliometrics. Newbury Park: Sage Publications.
DEROUET, Jean-Louis (2000). Une science de l'administration scolaire est-elle possible? Revue Française de Pédagogie. 130, pp. 5-14.
MUCCHIELLI, Roger (1991). L'Analyse de Contenu des Documents et des Communications. Paris: Éditions ESF.

a) Take off the point after the author name

b) Put years inside ()

c) Take off bold in journal number

d) Get a space after pp.

Coordinator
May 9, 2009 at 5:16 PM

I doubt you have being going over them for hours without result. The guide might not be all that good, but it should have helped you to find at least the places to look.

What you want to do is change how a bibliography entry looks. All formatting information you need for that is concentrated between <bibliography> and </bibliography>. A mere 200 lines of code.

Narrowing it further down, each type of source has its separate entry in a source element. For example, for books, you have:

<source type="Book">
    <
column id="1">
      <
halign>left</halign>
      <
valign>top</valign>
      <
format>{%Author:2|Editor:3%.{ %Year%{%YearSuffix%}.}}{ &lt;i&gt;%Title|ShortTitle%&lt;/i&gt;.{ %Year%{%YearSuffix%}.}}{ %City%{: %Publisher%}}{ %Publisher%}.</format>
    </
column>
    <
sortkey>{%Author:0|Editor:0|Title:a|ShortTitle:a%} {%Year%} {%Title:a|ShortTitle:a%}</sortkey>
  </
source>

And as you only want to change the format, and not the sorting rules, the only entry of concern to you is <format>. So basically what you have to do is update each of those elements with what you want. So you are down to something like 20 lines of code to change. And that is only if you want to change every entry, if you only use JournalArticle and Book, you only need to change 2 lines.

Now let us take a look at your questions:

a) Take off the point after the author name

If the format string looks like {%Author:2|Editor:3%.{ %Year%{%YearSuffix%}.}}, where do you think that period after the author stands in the format string? Right after %Author:2|Editor:3%. So removing it from there will remove it from the output.

b) Put years inside ()

If in the format string, there is a piece looking like %Year%, what variable do you think it represents? That's right, the year. So putting brackets around the year is the same as putting brackets around %Year%. Of course, there is a little extra here as you also have to incorporate %YearSuffix%, in your brackets.

c) Take off bold in journal number

This might be a little trickier if you have never used HTML before. The html code for bold is <b>. As < > are special characters, you will actually have to look for &lt;b&gt; in the code. For journal articles, you will see that the volume is formatted using &lt;b&gt;%Volume%&lt;/b&gt;. So what you need is to just strip the bold markup away until all that remains is %Volume%.

d) Get a space after pp.

Have you actually looked at the guide? It clearly explains how BibWord decides on how to format page prefixes. It's all there under the Pages variable. Consider looking it up as homework :-)

So with these changes, your format string for books would look something like:

<format>{%Author:2|Editor:3%{ (%Year%{%YearSuffix%})}.}{ &lt;i&gt;%Title|ShortTitle%&lt;/i&gt;{ (%Year%{%YearSuffix%})}.}{ %City%{: %Publisher%}}{ %Publisher%}.</format>

May 10, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Thanks. I managed to do the work. Some experience with html helped me, but I couldn't do it without your help anyway. Stay well.