Bugs in Harvard Anglia

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:51 PM
Edited Apr 17, 2009 at 12:52 PM
I would like to report two bugs concerning the Harvard Anglia style and a feature request for all of your styles. I hope that the developers of Bibword can address these issues.

First, the bugs: The bibliography doesn't include a trailing full stop (.) for a report source and a colon (:) after the publishing place for a magazine source. Below I have an extract of my bibliography, showing a report (bug), a magazine (bug) and a book (correct).

Jensen, M.S. et al., 2006. Offshore wind turbines situated in areas with strong currents. Report. Offshore Center Danmark

Margheritini, L., Martinelli, L., Lamberti, A. & Frigaard, P., 2006. Scour around monopile foundation for off-shore wind turbine in presence of steady and tidal currents. In Smith, J.M. ed. Proceedings of the 30th International Conference on Coastal Engineering, San Diego. Singapore World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd.

Sumer, B.M. & Fredsøe, J., 1997. Hydrodynamics around cylindrical structures. 1999th ed. Singapore: World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd.

Finally, I would like to be able to show standard numbers such as ISBN/ISSN/DOI for all my references in the bibliography.

Thanks in advance!

Coordinator
Apr 17, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Thanks for reporting the bugs, they should be fixed now.

Note that the missing of the colon (:) in conference proceedings is not the actual bug. The actual bug was the missing conference date (at least the year). For example:

Margheritini, L., Martinelli, L., Lamberti, A. & Frigaard, P., 2006. Scour around monopile foundation for off-shore wind turbine in presence of steady and tidal currents. In Smith, J.M. ed. Proceedings of the 30th International Conference on Coastal Engineering, San Diego. Singapore, 2006. World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd.

or if you have a full date (I made up a date):

Margheritini, L., Martinelli, L., Lamberti, A. & Frigaard, P., 2006. Scour around monopile foundation for off-shore wind turbine in presence of steady and tidal currents. In Smith, J.M. ed. Proceedings of the 30th International Conference on Coastal Engineering, San Diego. Singapore, 24-26 May 2006. World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd.

The open xml bibliography data model does not support a DOI field. I guess you could use the ISBN/ISSN field instead. If you want the field to be displayed, you will have to add it yourself in the appropriate place. The variable you should use is StandardNumber. If the number would be the final number (and no specific punctuation should be considered), the following would be added to the end of the format strings of the bibliography:

{ %StandardNumber%.}

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:11 PM
Edited Apr 18, 2009 at 12:14 PM
Hi Yves

Thank you very much for your quick reply and the bug fixes. I also managed to add the standard number to my bibliography, very useful!

I have found some additional "bugs" in the bibliography of the Harvard Anglia style, which I hope that you can address: 

1) A conference article should also show:   page numbers, number, publisher.

2) A journal article should also show:        volume, number, city, publisher.

3) I would also like to show the source comment for book source types, I have one comment saying "Reprinted 1999".

4) The DocumentFromInternetSite source type is not supported in the bibliography or in the citations.

Coordinator
Apr 18, 2009 at 12:34 PM

1) A conference article should also show:   page numbers, number, publisher.

No, according to http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm?harvard_id=51#51 page numbers should not be included for conference papers.

2) A journal article should also show:        volume, number, city, publisher.

No, according to http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm?harvard_id=32#32 publisher and city information should not be included for journal articles.

3)I would also like to show the source comment for book source types, I have one comment saying "Reprinted 1999".

You will have to add that one yourself as there is no clean definition of usage. The variable is Comments and can be applied in the same way as StandardNumber: { %Comments%.}

4) The DocumentFromInternetSite source type is not supported in the bibliography or in the citations.

Many types are not supported. Mostly because at the time the style was first made, there was no exact information on how to do the formatting. The release notes tell which types are supported. That said, now that they provided more elaborate formatting rules on their site, I'll probably update the style within the next week to add some extra types.

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:24 PM
Hi Yves, thanks for your clarification and help.

Concerning the journal articles, as far as I can see from the Harvard guideline, it still requires a volume and issue number - and this isn't shown in the bibliography when I have filled-in the "volume" and "number" fields for the journal article source.

One last thing, so far at least ;-) : Is it possible to show citations with "et al." instead of "et al", i.e. including the trailing dot as specified in the Harvard guideline? This applies for my journal and conference sources.
Coordinator
Apr 18, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Volume number and issue are shown in the current version. For example:

• Author: Perry, C
  • Title: What health care assistants know about clean hands
  • Journal Name: Nursing Times
  • Year: 2001
  • Pages: 63-64
  • Volume: 97
  • Issue: 22

Turns up as:

Perry, C., 2001. What health care assistants know about clean hands. Nursing Times, 97(22), pp.63-64.

Regarding the "et al", that is only for in-text citations. You can change it by replacing:

<overflow> et al</overflow>

with

<overflow> et al.</overflow>

Apr 18, 2009 at 6:44 PM
Edited Apr 18, 2009 at 6:49 PM
Thanks again Yves, you certainly provide quick feedback!

I located my problem with showing volume and issue, I was using the ArticleInPeriodical instead of JournalPaper type. And thanks to your help, "et al." comes out nice in my in-text citations too.

For your information, the JournalName isn't showing by default when creating/editing a journal paper source. I managed to fix this by adding "<b:ImportantField>b:JournalName</b:ImportantField>".

Now, the last thing, I'm puzzled about is how to obtain a suffix after the year for repeated authorship. I have tried using the Extender tool on my document and reselecting the style in Word, but it doesn't appear to work. Both of my sources (see below) are cited as (Sumer et al., 1992), instead of one them as (Sumer et al., 1992b). I don't know if they are too complex to be handled automatically? If so, I could work around the problem by adding the suffix to the year in the source.

The bibliography entries:

Sumer, B.M., Christiansen, N. & Fredsøe, J., 1992. Time scale of scour around a vertical pile. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference. San Francisco, 1992. 3. ISBN 1-880653-03-6.

Sumer, B.M., Fredsøe, J. & Christiansen, N., 1992. Scour around vertical pile in waves. Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, 118(1), pp.15-31. ISSN 0733-950X/92/0001-0015.
Coordinator
Apr 18, 2009 at 10:20 PM
I updated the style adding "Document From Web site" and cleaning up some other stuff.

I tried your example both with the new and old variant and the year suffices do show up.

Are you using Word 2008 on Mac? If so, try switching to another style and then back to the Harvard Anglia style. Reselecting does not update all the fields.

Also try updating the fields manually (right click on a citation and select "Update Field" (Word 2007).

If none of these things work, you can check if the Extender actually worked. Create a copy of your Word document and rename its extension from .docx to .zip. Open the zip file and in the customXml folder look for item1.xml. Open the file in any text editor and see if you can find "YearSuffix". If so, then the document was extended. Check if you can find any non-empty YearSuffix element (e.g. <b:YearSuffix>a</b:YearSuffix>). 
Apr 19, 2009 at 3:08 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2009 at 3:09 PM
Hi Yves. Thanks for your help.

I have tried and tried, with no luck for the existing two sources. I did manage to add two new sources where it worked for these, but still not for the existing two sources, so I removed the new ones again. I use MsWord 2007 on Vista. After extending, and looking into item1.xml (see below), all the sources do have YearSuffix elements, but all being empty.. For now, I'll just put "1992b" for the year.
-
- <b:Source>
  <b:Tag>Sum92b</b:Tag>
  <b:SourceType>ConferenceProceedings</b:SourceType>
  <b:Guid>{DA61543C-1CAC-438E-8240-6863F7B28BE6}</b:Guid>
  <b:LCID>1033</b:LCID>
- <b:Author>
- <b:NameList>
- <b:Person>
  <b:Last>Sumer</b:Last>
  <b:First>B.</b:First>
  <b:Middle>M.</b:Middle>
  </b:Person>
  <b:Last>Christiansen</b:Last>
  <b:First>N.</b:First>
  <b:Last>Fredsøe</b:Last>
  <b:First>J.</b:First>
  </b:NameList>
  </b:Author>
  <b:Title>Time scale of scour around a vertical pile</b:Title>
  <b:Year>1992</b:Year>
  <b:Pages>308-315</b:Pages>
  <b:ConferenceName>Proceedings of the 2nd International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference</b:ConferenceName>
  <b:StandardNumber>ISBN 1-880653-03-6</b:StandardNumber>
  <b:City>San Francisco</b:City>
  <b:Volume>3</b:Volume>
  <b:BibOrder>12</b:BibOrder>
  <b:YearSuffix />
  <b:RefOrder>8</b:RefOrder>
  </b:Source>

- <b:Source>
  <b:Tag>Sum92</b:Tag>
  <b:SourceType>JournalArticle</b:SourceType>
  <b:Guid>{1A930F8F-6742-4B53-93AA-C03D80E8E263}</b:Guid>
  <b:LCID>1033</b:LCID>
- <b:NameList>
  <b:Last>Sumer</b:Last>
  <b:First>B.</b:First>
  <b:Middle>Mutlu</b:Middle>
  <b:Last>Fredsøe</b:Last>
  <b:First>Jørgen</b:First>
  <b:Last>Christiansen</b:Last>
  <b:First>Niels</b:First>
  </b:NameList>
  <b:Title>Scour around vertical pile in waves</b:Title>
  <b:Year>1992</b:Year>
  <b:Month>Jan/Feb</b:Month>
  <b:Pages>15-31</b:Pages>
  <b:Publisher>ASCE</b:Publisher>
  <b:Volume>118</b:Volume>
  <b:Issue>1</b:Issue>
  <b:StandardNumber>ISSN 0733-950X/92/0001-0015</b:StandardNumber>
  <b:JournalName>Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering</b:JournalName>
  <b:BibOrder>18</b:BibOrder>
  <b:YearSuffix />
  <b:RefOrder>7</b:RefOrder>
  </b:Source>
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2009 at 9:45 PM
I copied your two examples directly into the item1.xml file, ran the Extender (http://bibliography.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=24823) and updated the fields. The suffixes are there (both a and b). So I'm at loss as to why they are not showing for you.

Have you by any chance toyed around with the <extension> element inside the stylesheet? As changing the definitions in there influences the 'calculation' of the suffices.

Yves

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:29 AM
Hi Yves. Thanks for looking into it, but it still doesn't work. I found out that I using the Extender v. 1.3 and also tried with the new v. 2.0 that you suggested. I haven't changed anything else inside the style sheet. Anyway, thanks for your help with all the issues here, I think that I have a useful bibliography tool for Word now.
Coordinator
Apr 20, 2009 at 5:40 PM
I know you solved the issue for yourself, but if you have the time, could you send me your stylesheet and a Word document where the year suffices aren't working? That way I can investigate what is going wrong and possibly fix some bugs in BibWord. You can find my email at the top of the data element normally.
Apr 23, 2009 at 7:46 AM
Hi Yves. No problem, I'll send it right away!
Aug 26, 2009 at 3:41 PM

A minor mistake here. On http://bibword.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=19783, at the very end, you have this remark:

If you want a space between p./pp. and the actual page number, open the file and replace all ':p.:pp.:' by ':p. :pp. '

The replace string should read ':p. :pp. :' (add a colon)

Other than that, brilliant work, man -- thank you!