Square brackets for ACM Biliography

Mar 12, 2009 at 9:42 AM
Hi,

I found the styles from this site very useful, particulalry the ACM styles.

I was wondering how I could enable the following for ACM Name Sequence style:

1. Enclosing the numbers in the bibliography in square brackets - similar to APA Numerical with Square Brackets

2. How to add links to bibliography e.g. "doi" or "accessed from"

Many thanks,
Mohamed
Coordinator
Mar 12, 2009 at 10:21 AM

1.Change all occurences of 

<format>%BibOrder|"BO"%</format>

into

<format>[%BibOrder|"BO"%]</format>

2. The open xml specification does not provide an entry for DOI. You could abuse the comments fields as that is displayed at the end of most entries. But more importantly, ACM does not provide guidelines on how to cite from electronic sources or websites (see for example their LaTeX bst). So if you want to support 'ElectronicSource' or 'InternetSite', you will have to define and add such an entry yourself. For more information on adding stuff, see the BibWord Guide.

The fastest, but dirtiest solution could be extending the existing types such as JournalArticle to support URLs. This could be done by simply adding:

{ Accessed from: %URL:l%}

infront of:

{ %Comments%.}

for the entries which (should) support urls.

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:54 AM
Many thanks, Yves,

It works and I am sure these templates will make my life a little bit easier.

I was also wondering if you are aware of a bibliography manager (like JabRef) for managing XML based biblio files used by Word2007.

Again, many thanks,
Mohamed
Coordinator
Mar 12, 2009 at 1:07 PM
I'm not aware of any bibliography managers for Word 2007/2008.

There are many tools out there which can convert bibtex entries into office open xml sources.

The last one looks very promising from the video on the site, but I haven't tried it yet.

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:35 AM
Many thanks, Yves,

I will try the last one sometime this weekend.

You have been a great help, most appreciated.
Mohamed