Customize APA for showing two authors' names

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Hi

I'm using the APA style for my reprots but there are a few things which I need to change. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated:

1- If there are two authors, I'd like to show the names of both, and for more that two, use the fist one et al.

2- Instead of "&" in the citation, use 'and'

3- To remove the space before and after the citation.  For example, sometime I cite a reference at the beginning of a sentence and show it as Authour (Year), and I figured to repeat one citation twice, once showin the name and once the year, but there is a space around the Year which I'd like removed.

4- To make the 'et al.' italics

5- Sometimes, I cite agencies which have abbreviated names, and I cite using the abb. but the reference shows the full title.  Is there a way around this?

Thanks a lot

Zahra

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2013 at 12:07 PM

That is not a BibWord style, so you will have to do some puzzling to get things the way you want.

I suggest you start from the template formatPersonsAuthor and the ones directly above and below it in the code. They look the most promising for handling problem 1, 2 and 4.

Regarding problem 3, the space has nothing to do with the in-text citation formatting. It's part of the way fields are used in Word. Search this forum for a suggested workaround.

Regarding your last point. The full name can only be shown if you entered the full name somewhere. Word is not intelligent enough to expand your abbreviation into a full name. So wherever you entered the fullname, enter the abbreviated name instead and you should be set.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Thanks for the tips.  Although, I'm not very strong atprogramming and this language seems a bit confusing.  I was wondering if there are samples or similar styles with which I can compare the existing APA and make changes accordingly.  If you're aware of such codes, my main issues that I cannot find a way around are the two authors names, changing & to 'and', and making et al. italics.

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I’m in the process of adapting the Anglia Rushkin University 2008 style sheet to suit a particular version of APA style. There are many changes to consider, but for your citation query try editing the style sheet like this:

<namelists>

<list name="citation" id="1">

<single_prefix></single_prefix>

<multi_prefix></multi_prefix>

<corporate>{%Corporate%.}</corporate>

<first_person>{%Last|First|Middle%}</first_person>

<other_persons>{%Last|First|Middle%}</other_persons>

<separator_between_if_two> and </separator_between_if_two>

<separator_between_if_more_than_two>, </separator_between_if_more_than_two>

<separator_before_last> and </separator_before_last>

<max_number_of_persons_to_display>2</max_number_of_persons_to_display>

<number_of_persons_to_display_if_more_than_max>1</number_of_persons_to_display_if_more_than_max>

<overflow>,<i> et al.</i></overflow>

<single_suffix></single_suffix>

<multi_suffix></multi_suffix>

</list>

I’m new to this and I’m also finding my way around. I haven’t tried this to see how it outputs.

To juggle abbreviations in citation names for an inserted citation, select the ‘edit citation’ option after clicking on the citation and suppress the author, leaving just the year so you can add the names as you choose. Some permutations will require the entire citation to be converted to static text so you can edit it the way you want. (Don’t convert citations to static text with track changes ‘on’ – the citation will disappear off your screen. Switch track changes off, convert to static, and then switch track changes back on.)

I hope this helps. As always, no warranties are given and you proceed at your own risk. Back up your data before trying any changes.

Lionel Crator,

Tau Editing.

Professional Language Practitioner.

Sent: 18 January 2013 04:44 PM
To: tau.editing@yahoo.co.za
Subject: Re: Customize APA for showing two authors' names [bibword:429338]

Thanks for the tips. Although, I'm not very strong atprogramming and this language seems a bit confusing. I was wondering if there are samples or similar styles with which I can compare the existing APA and make changes accordingly. If you're aware of such codes, my main issues that I cannot find a way around are the two authors names, changing & to 'and', and making et al. italics.

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Apologies, my last post came out in html.

This is the plain text for the coding:

<namelists>
<list name="citation" id="1">
<single_prefix></single_prefix>
<multi_prefix></multi_prefix>
<corporate>{%Corporate%.}</corporate>
<first_person>{%Last|First|Middle%}</first_person>
<other_persons>{%Last|First|Middle%}</other_persons>
<separator_between_if_two> and </separator_between_if_two>
<separator_between_if_more_than_two>, </separator_between_if_more_than_two>
<separator_before_last> and </separator_before_last>
<max_number_of_persons_to_display>2</max_number_of_persons_to_display>
<number_of_persons_to_display_if_more_than_max>1</number_of_persons_to_display_if_more_than_max>
<overflow>,<i> et al.</i></overflow>
<single_suffix></single_suffix>
<multi_suffix></multi_suffix>
</list>
Jan 18, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Thanks Lionel. But where should I insert this?  The APA doesn't have a similar section and the Anglia style doesn't seeme to be on the web.