Add "Tag Name" to Bibliography

Dec 5, 2008 at 7:45 PM
Thanks for all of the styles!  I was wondering, is there anyway to add the "Tag Name" in place of the Authors name, or placed before the Authors name?

I have a lot of references, used many times through out my paper, and I have previously orgainized my papers by a unique number (ie. 1a, 2a, 3a, 4a,...161a....) so that the files are easily found.  When I click on "Insert Citation", I really need to see the "Tag Name" which is my unique number.

I am using the APA style.

Thanks for any help!
Dec 5, 2008 at 7:53 PM
...and, looking at the options, if "Tag Name" can not be added, how can I add the "Comments" field to the format (in front of the Authors)?

And to elaborate, I am using the APA - Numerical with Square Brackets
Coordinator
Dec 5, 2008 at 10:49 PM
Sorry, but I don't really understand where you want to see what.

Are you talking about the drop-down list under "Insert citation"? Are you talking about the in-text citation? Or are you talking about the bibliography? Or a combination of those.

The look of the drop-down list under "Insert citation" is, to the best of my knowledge, static. There probably is an xsl specifying the format, but I haven't been able to locate it. Mind you, it could be incorporated within Word itself which means it will never be found. If you know the tag, you can insert a citation manually. On the "Insert" tab, in the "Text" group, click "Quick Parts" and choose "Field...". Pick "citation" from the list and add the tag.

If you know the tag, the easiest way to display it in front of your in-text citation, is by using the \f switch on your field. This can be done by right-clicking a citation and selecting "Edit field...". Add the end of the string you can then add \f "the tag you want to show in front". The quotes are important if you use spaces in the text you want to display.

Alternatively, I can help you change the stylesheet so it does that automatically but then you will have to provide more accurate information on what exactly you try to achieve. I can image that if you put the tag in your in-text citation, you want it in your bibliography as well. And you probably want your bibliography sorted by your tag. Note that sorting is normally either numerical or alphabetical (161a will be before 1a). Try to be as precise as possible on what you see now and what you do want to see.

Yves

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:45 AM
Yves,  Thanks for your reply.  I should elaborate in what I am trying to do.

I have a lot of papers that are going to be referenced many times throughout my paper.  I currently have all of these papers in a list, with notes and such, and I have them numbered (1a through 170a) so that I can find them easilier in their folder.  I placed the "a" after the number so that it distinguishes it from my reference number, and the reference number in the paper.

Ok, so, in the paper, as I am writing the paper, I want to be able to insert the references from the "Insert Citation" list by using my reference number (ie. 44a).  Right now, the "Insert Citations" option shows just the text of the bibliography.  So, if I wanted to insert [44a] into my paper, I would need to know that the actual citation is "Rigney, D.A., Chen, L.H., Naylor, Malcolm G.S., Rosenfield, A.R. (1984). Wear processes in sliding systems. Wear, v100(1-3), 195-219."

So, temporarily, I want the Citation to look like:
44a. Rigney, D.A., Chen, L.H., Naylor, Malcolm G.S., Rosenfield, A.R. (1984). Wear processes in sliding systems. Wear, v100(1-3), 195-219.
or
44a. (1984). Wear processes in sliding systems. Wear, v100(1-3), 195-219.

so that I can just go to the "Insert Citation" list, and easily find "44a" and insert it to my paper.

In the paper, the inserted reference would be the Bibliography number, so:

"Sliding wear in mc metallic materials creates large plastic strains in the grains at the surface. [whatever number 44a is in the bibliography] "

When I am near completion of the paper, I will then change the style of the Bibliography back to just "APA - Numerical Square Bracket" to remove my reference numbers.

Hopefully this explains it better of what I'm trying to do.  Thanks again for any help!
Coordinator
Dec 6, 2008 at 10:07 AM
Like I said, changing the look under "Insert Citation" is not possible to my knowledge. So you can't simplify the inserting that way. It's either using the 'unchangeable list' or inserting them manually as described in the previous post.

I'm still not getting what else you might want.

Assuming you currently use ordinary APA. For your in-text citations, do you want to see (Tag. OrdinaryAPA) instead of (OrdinaryAPA)? Or do you just want to see (Tag)? Or (Tag, OrderNumber)? Or just [OrderNumber]? Your example seems to be the latter case, but then you can use "APA - Numerical Square Bracket" directly.

For your bibliography, again starting from ordinary APA, what do you want to see? OrdinaryAPA? Or Tag. OrdinaryAPA? Or OrderNumber. OrdinaryAPA? Or another variation?
Dec 6, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Ok, I see what you are saying.  No matter what the format, the "Insert Citation" will always only display "Author, Title, (year)."

I was hoping that if I added the "Tag Name" in place of the "Author", like this:
            [1] [1a]. (2003). Mechanical Behavior of Nanocrystalline Metals and Alloys. Acta Mater, v51(19), 5743-5774.

[2] [21a]. (2003). Deformation structures developing on fine scales. Philos. Mag., v83(31-34), 3871-3893.

[3] [44a]. (1984). Wear processes in sliding systems. Wear, v100(1-3), 195-219.

[4] [45a]. (2001). The effect of grain size on the wear properties of electrodeposited nanocrystalline nickel coatings. Scripta Mater., v44(3), 493-499.

[5] [22a]. (2005). Study of deformation behavior of ultrafine-grained materials through in situ nanoindentation in a transmission electron microscope. J. Mater. Res., v20(7), 1735-1740.

[6] [76a]. (1997). Characteristics of grain boundary migration and sliding during fatigue of high purity lead. Mater Sci Eng A Struct Mater Prop Microstruct Process, vA222(1), 9-13.
[7] [13a]. (2004). Grain-boundary sliding and separation in polycrystalline metals: Application to nanocrystalline fcc metals. J Mech Phys Solids, v52(11), 2587-2616.

then the "Insert Citation" would display "Tag Name, Author, Title, (year)."  Then I could easily find the paper from the list and insert it.  But, it looks like this is not possible.

For the in-text citation, if I could easily incorporate the "Tag Name" in the style, then I would want something like this:
Blah Blah Blah. [1a, 1]  Blah Bluh Blah. [22a, 5][76a, 6] Blah bloh blah. [13a, 7]

I don't really need the "tag name" in the in-text citation (because I can just look up the number in the list if I really needed to), the most important thing is that my reference number is in the bibliography list and visible in the "Insert Citation" list.

Right now, for my bibliography entries (I don't have them all typed in yet), I am inserting my reference name [#a] in the "author field", and then placing the authors in the "comment field" so that the "Insert Citation" list displays:
1a. Mechanical Behavior of Nanocrystalline Metals and Alloys, (2003)

Once I am near completion of the paper, I will just manually go back and change all of the citations back by moving the contents of the "Comment Field" to the "Author Field" and vice versa so that the Bibliography is correct. 

From the sound of it, it looks like I will just have to continue this method, and manually change all of the entries later.

Thanks for all your help!

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:15 PM
gwiz there is a "dirty" trick to achive what you desire. In order to have the insert citation list sources as follows:

tag
title, (year)

Using bibType create your own source types, for example instead of "ArticleInYournal" create "Article" etc. then if you use tags like 1a , 2a etc. word will list things in the insert citation list the way you want. The issue is that the manage sources dialog box will show a list containing only "title (year)", but if you'll use your own style (one that defines the source types and the way they are formated) then the preview window will work correctly.
May 30, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Hi there,

This sounds like exactly what I need. 

I would be really grateful if you could explain the process that I need to go through in a bit more detail.  I am happy about working out how to create my own style using bibType but not sure how I will get this to show in the Insert Citation list.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Many thanks 

Coordinator
May 31, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Hi Sarah,

It's been a while since this thread has been active and since then I found out how to display whatever you want in the "Insert Citation..." list.

Basically, it comes down to changing the "<xsl:template match="b:Source">" routine in Author2String.xml. There you can change the DisplayAuthor so that instead of the author name, the tag is shown (or a combination of tag and author). You can also change the SortKey so that everything gets sorted according to tag.

The changes I made to be able to display by tag are:

<b:DisplayAuthor>
  <
xsl:value-of select="$displayAuthor"/>
</
b:DisplayAuthor>

into

<b:DisplayAuthor>
  <!--
Begin display tag. -->
  <
xsl:value-of select="b:Tag"/>
  <
xsl:text> - </xsl:text>
  <!--
End display tag. -->
  <
</
b:DisplayAuthor>

and

<b:SortKey>
  <
xsl:if test="string-length($displayAuthor) > 0">
    <
  </
xsl:if>
  <
xsl:if test="string-length($displayAuthor) = 0">
    <
  </
  <
xsl:if test="string-length($displayTitle) > 0 or string-length(b:Year) > 0">
    <
xsl:value-of select="'&#x0020;'"/>
    <
xsl:value-of select="$displayTitle"/>
    <
xsl:if test="string-length(b:Year) > 0">
      <
xsl:value-of select="'&#x0021;'"/>
      <
xsl:value-of select="b:Year"/>
    </
  </
</
b:SortKey>

into

<b:SortKey>
  <!--
Begin tag. -->
  <
  <!--
End tag. -->
  <
xsl:if test="string-length($displayAuthor) > 0">
    <
  </
  <
xsl:if test="string-length($displayAuthor) = 0">
    <
  </
  <
xsl:if test="string-length($displayTitle) > 0 or string-length(b:Year) > 0">
    <
xsl:value-of select="'&#x0020;'"/>
    <
xsl:value-of select="$displayTitle"/>
    <
xsl:if test="string-length(b:Year) > 0">
      <
xsl:value-of select="'&#x0021;'"/>
      <
xsl:value-of select="b:Year"/>
    </
  </
</
b:SortKey>

Jul 3, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Hi Yves,

Many thanks... it is fabulous!  Exactly what I needed!
Much appreciated,
Sarah