Word 2013 Installation?

Nov 24, 2012 at 4:37 AM

I am trying to install some of the styles for Word 2013, but the path to the bibliography style folder seems to have changed, and I can't seem to find anything that looks right. Does anybody know how to get this working in Word 2013?

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I have the same issue using the new Microsoft Surface RT.  It comes with Office 2013 already installed.  I have posted this problem on the Surface Forum Website.  Here is the URL:  http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-general-discussion/1955-microsoft-word-surface-rt-citation-styles-limitation.html

I would like to use the Chicago Style for footnotes, which I have already done on Office 2010.  I have found some directories to put the Style into, but they don't get recognized by Word.  These directories include: 

1) C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Bibli ography\Style
and
2) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\Bibliography\Style

3)C:\Users\"User"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Template s\LiveContent\15\Managed\Word Document Bibliography Styles .

I'm thinking that the CMSfootnotes style needs to be updated to work with Office 2013

Making this work would be fantastic, since I hate having to use another machine just to insert a citation.

Thanks

Coordinator
Dec 5, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I don't have access to a system with Word 2013. So I can't experiment. But if you can send me one of the XSL files from your computer (e.g. Chicago.xsl) I might be able to deduce what changed. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Yves, I'm having the same problem with the CSE template.  It doesn't work with Word 2013 as they have completely changed the files to use tests that are validated. I don't have the time to rewrite it in time for my paper.  I can't figure out how to attach the built-in xml sheet to this as it keeps freezing with the code snippet as it's quite large.  could you please email me at lluciano1@msn.com and I'll send you one of the files.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Yves,

I replied to the e-mail sent to me from your last post.  I attached an XSL file from Office 2013.  Hopefully you got it.

I appreciate your help.

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Hi! I'm also having the same problem. I was wondering if this was already resolved? Thanks! I'm trying to insert the AMA Style of citation.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM
As far as I know, it hasn't been resolved yet. I just finished my exams this past week so I'll try to play around with the new citation formats and see if I can get something working. I ended up typing in manually in my document in the meantime.

Lisa

To: [email removed]
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 17:25:18 -0800
Subject: Re: Word 2013 Installation? [bibword:404418]

Hi! I'm also having the same problem. I was wondering if this was already resolved? Thanks! I'm trying to insert the AMA Style of citation.
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (bibword@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email bibword@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Jan 13, 2013 at 1:12 AM

In response to the last two posts:  as far as I know, this has not been resolved.  Yves, I'm curious to know if there has been any progress concerning this issue.  Have you had an opportunity to look at the XSL file I sent?  Or have you learned anything new?  Thanks

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2013 at 6:17 AM

Sorry but I can't find the XSL if you send it to me. Please try again. Mail it to the mail address you can find in the bibword XSL files.

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Thanks for styles.

At first glance, there are two new fields in the XSL.

An XslVersion number which is basically the version of the style (6 for APA 6th edition, 15 for Chicago 15th edition, ...) as far as I can derive from the examples I have.

The second one is StyleNameLocalized which is the name of a style hardcoded for every language Word has for UI (very bad design, especially since they have a localization tree for everything else). I'm guessing a single value will do here.

So, if anyone would be so kind to test the following and report back on success/failure (I don't have Office 2013, so I'm flying blind):

In the BibWord XSL you are using, look for the following lines:

<!-- Handle the different types of input documents. -->
<xsl:template match="/">

<xsl:choose>
    <!-- Gets the name of the style as it will be displayed in Word 2007. -->
    <xsl:when test="b:StyleName">

And then change them to (basically you are injecting a few extra lines)

<!-- Handle the different types of input documents. -->
<xsl:template match="/">

<xsl:choose>
    <!-- Sets a dummy version number. -->
    <xsl:when test="b:XslVersion">
      <xsl:text>10</xsl:text>
    </xsl:when>

<!-- We do not do localization, just use the default name. -->
    <xsl:when test="b:StyleNameLocalized">
      <xsl:value-of select="msxsl:node-set($data)/general/stylename"/>
    </xsl:when>	

<xsl:when test="b:StyleName">

Please report back on success and/or failure. Only with your input I can adapt all styles to work with Word 2013.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Thank you for patiently working for this.

You are an angel. I tried it with AMA.xml and it works! Thank you thank you!

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Yves,

I am very grateful for your help!  This worked beautifully once I found the correct directory to add the updated XSL spreadsheet into.  It is different from my Windows 7 machine.  On my Surface (which uses Windows RT) I have to put it into the following directory:
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Bibliography\Style
Only this directory would work.  I'm not sure what the others are for, especially since they have copies of the default XSL sheets in them.  In any case, this worked, and I am a very happy Word 2013 user.  This was the only major limitation I was facing on my Surface RT.
Thanks again, a hundred times over.
Coordinator
Jan 15, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I'm glad it works.

I'll do my best to update all styles later this week.

Thanks for testing.

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Hi Yves

I am obviously doing something wrong.

I have added the extra code pasted the update C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Bibliography\Style, but still I am not able to view it in the bibliography.

I have also tried adding it C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\bibliography\style but it is looking for a .BAK file.

Is there maybe another download for Office 2013? If not will I have to amend all the .XSL files

Please can you assist?

What is the IEEE download?

Thanks
Albert
Feb 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Hi Yves

I am obviously doing something wrong.

I have added the extra code pasted the update C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Bibliography\Style, but still I am not able to view it in the bibliography.

I have also tried adding it C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\bibliography\style but it is looking for a .BAK file.

Is there maybe another download for Office 2013? If not will I have to amend all the .XSL files

Please can you assist?

What is the IEEE download?

Thanks
Albert
Mar 20, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Hi mates,

I am also struggling to put it to work.

My issue regards to the ABNT style as well.

Yves, could you rescue us?
-<xsl:template match="/">-<xsl:choose>
<!-- Sets a dummy version number. -->
-<xsl:when test="b:XslVersion"><xsl:text>10</xsl:text></xsl:when>
<!-- We do not do localization, just use the default name. -->
-<xsl:when test="b:StyleNameLocalized"><xsl:value-of select="msxsl:node-set($data)/general/stylename"/></xsl:when>
-<xsl:when test="b:StyleName"><xsl:value-of select="msxsl:node-set($data)/general/stylename"/></xsl:when>
<!-- Gets the version information for the style. -->
-<xsl:when test="b:Version"><xsl:value-of select="msxsl:node-set($data)/general/version"/></xsl:when>
<!-- Gets a description of the style. (Word 2008 or later) -->
-<xsl:when test="b:Description"><xsl:value-of select="msxsl:node-set($data)/general/description"/></xsl:when>
<!-- Gets the URL for updates. (Word 2008 or later) -->
-<xsl:when test="b:UpdateURL"><xsl:value-of select="msxsl:node-set($data)/general/URL"/></xsl:when>
<!-- Retrieve the most important fields for a certain type of citation. -->
-<xsl:when test="b:GetImportantFields"><xsl:variable name="type" select="b:GetImportantFields/b:SourceType"/>-<b:ImportantFields><xsl:copy-of select="msxsl:node-set($data)/importantfields/source[@type = $type]/*"/></b:ImportantFields></xsl:when>
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2013 at 10:13 PM
It works. Make sure you insert the correct lines. The instructions are clear, but are easy to mess up.

Someone send me an XSL file earlier today which is incorrectly formatted. A part of the stylename test was gone. Basically there was only the opening of the when tag, it was never closed. So paying attention to the details is important.
Mar 28, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Edited Mar 28, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Just did a few on my Surface RT with Office 2013. Works great. Using it with JabRef since I lost my Endnote capabilities. Export Ref database to JabRef, export to BibTex.xml for Word and import. Use your Styles to handle references.
thank you Sir for flying blindly ;)
One silly noob question. For the ACS style you created (American Chemical Society), it's based on a source from 2009 I assume. Most recently the title of the reference is not included. So it should look like this: Koerner, H.; Kelley, J. J.; Vaia, R. A. Macromolecules 2008, 41 (13), 4709.
How would I go about to change the style to reflect this?
thanks again

edit1: nevermind. Found the <format> line for JournalArticle and was able to fix it. Beautiful. Thank you.

edit2: I do have a problem at the moment that I cannot figure out how to fix. The ACS style with superscript does not actually do superscript. The reference numbering shows up as regular font. I can superscript the reference numbers by changing font settings, however whenever I update references they go back to regular font. Any idea how to fix that?

edit3: actually, it seems to work fine in Office 2010 and reference numbers are superscript. Not in 2013 though.
Mar 28, 2013 at 2:50 AM
Edited Mar 28, 2013 at 2:52 AM
It worked!

Thanks Yves!

The thing is to find the right root. Since I haven't removed my prior Office, I was inserting on the same root
Apr 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Edited Apr 11, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Sorry for the question, but how can I edit the xsl file.

When I opened it in Internet Explorer I was not able to edit and insert the lines you recomened. I tried opening with Word Pad, but did not work. After I saved, I tried to open in Internet Explorer and the file seens to be with problem.

Could you please help me?

Thank you
Apr 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Flávia, não precisa mais editar nada porque a versão que o Yves colocou já funciona no 2013.

Agora se você quiser alterar alguma norma ABNT, divide com o resto do pessoal, se possível.

De: FlaviaFreitas [email removed]
Enviada em: quinta-feira, 11 de abril de 2013 19:29
Para: Felippe De Medeiros Oliveira
Assunto: Re: Word 2013 Installation? [bibword:404418]

When I opened it in Internet Explorer I was not able to edit and insert the lines you recomened. I tried opening with Word Pad, but did not work.

Thank you

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Felipe,

Onde eu consigo essa versão?

Obrigada,
Flávia
Apr 11, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Felipe,

Eu consegui editar e estava com o mesmo problema que você, eu não desinstalei o Office antigo, e não estava colocando no lugar certo. Ficou mais difícil, mas consegui!!!

A versão que eu tenho é uma já modificada, pelo o que vi pelo Yves já com as correções necessárias para por ex 2 ou mais autores. Essa versão chama-se Universidade. Você a tem?

Flávia
Coordinator
Apr 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM
FlaviaFreitas wrote:

When I opened it in Internet Explorer I was not able to edit and insert the lines you recomened. I tried opening with Word Pad, but did not work. After I saved, I tried to open in Internet Explorer and the file seens to be with problem.

Thank you
There is no longer a need to edit the files. They have all been upgraded about 10 days ago to support Word 2013.

If you still want to edit an XSL file, any text editor will do. So notepad and wordpad should both work. It might be better to use an xml editor though as that will most likely tell you are you messing up the document by getting unbalanced tags or other problematic issues.
Apr 12, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Yves, thank you for the update. Were you able to address the problem with superscript in Word 2013? See my post above. Superscript styles work fine in Word 2010, but as soon as I start the bibliography manager in 2013 superscript disappeas. Superscript comes back when I take the document into Word 2010.
Coordinator
Apr 12, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Edited Apr 12, 2013 at 3:42 PM
I don't have Word 2013 yet, so I can't test.

But you got me wondering if they finally might have fixed that bug and now correctly process HTML for in-text citations. You can test yourself by changing one of the format strings from

<format>{%RefOrder%}</format>

to

<format>{&lt;sup&gt;%RefOrder%&lt;/sup&gt;}</format>
Apr 15, 2013 at 4:01 AM
tried a few things but could not get it to do superscript correctly with your suggested change.

cheers
Jul 9, 2013 at 4:17 AM
The whole thing is in the correct path! Thanks for the answer__
Aug 5, 2013 at 3:36 PM
I cant intall vancouver style to office 2013.

Can you help me?