A beginner user creating a new style

Oct 16, 2008 at 7:17 PM
Hi,
i need to create a new style based on NBR 10520 [http://www.unerj.br/unerj/pesquisa/arquivos/CITACOES_NBR10520.pdf] ( Brazillian Standard) for using on my dissertation.

Samples of citation : 
i) (CAGLIARI e RIZZO, 1989).
ii) (SHILINGBURG; HOBO; WHISETT, 1983).

I´m trying to use BibWord. So, i´ve already copy BibWordStyleSheet.xsl to <C:\Arquivos de programas\Microsoft Office\Office12\Bibliography\Style> and all styles available on site.
But i´m a little bit confuse how to proceed.
Where i can get more information about this?

Thanks for any help.
Coordinator
Oct 16, 2008 at 11:03 PM
Edited Oct 16, 2008 at 11:07 PM
At the same page you downloaded the template, there is also a guide containing some examples. Combined with the other styles I wrote, that should give you a decent idea on how to proceed.

You probably want the person in a citation formatted as follows:

<list name="citation" id="1">
    <single_prefix></single_prefix>
    <multi_prefix></multi_prefix>
    <corporate>{%Corporate:u%}</corporate>
    <first_person>{%Last:u%}</first_person>
    <other_persons>{%Last:u%}</other_persons>
    <separator_between_if_two> e </separator_between_if_two>
    <separator_between_if_more_than_two>; </separator_between_if_more_than_two>
    <separator_before_last>; </separator_before_last> 
    <max_number_of_persons_to_display>3</max_number_of_persons_to_display>        
<
number_of_persons_to_display_if_more_than_max>1</number_of_persons_to_display_if_more_than_max> 
    <overflow> et al.</overflow> 
    <single_suffix></single_suffix
    <multi_suffix></multi_suffix>
  </list>

So for every person (both first_person and other_persons) you only want to display the last name (%Last%) and in upper case characters (:u).
If there are only 2 authors, you want to place an "e" between them as a separator (separator_between_if_two). If there are more than two, the separator between them should be "; ". No special care should be taken for the last author in a list of authors.
Setting max_number_of_persons_to_display to a large value such as 100 guarantees that all authors will be displayed. In this case I set it to 3. If there are more than 3 authors, then the next two elements will be used. That is, only the name of the first author will be displayed, followed by "et al."

Your citations, would look then like

<citation>
    <openbracket>(</openbracket>
    <closebracket>)</closebracket>
    <separator>; </separator>
    <source type="Book">
      <format>{%Author:1|Editor:1%}{, %Year%}</format>
    </source>  
  </
citation>

The openbracket and closebracket elements indicate that your in-text citation will be rounded by rounded brackets. Then for books, the author will be used to identify the work. If there is no author, a fall back to editor will be made (the | symbol). The name of the author and editor will be displayed according to the variables defined in list "1" (the :1 after the variables). After you displayed the names, the year will be displayed if it is available (and not suppresed). If for some reason the authors name is empty (or suppressed) and only a year has to be displayed, the ", " in front of the year will be automatically removed by BibWord. The code for BookSection, JournalArticle would be similar to Book.

<source type="BookSection">
    <format>{%Author:1|BookAuthor:1|Editor:1%}{, %Year%}</format>
  </source>

For all the possible variables and their options, you should check the manual which comes with the template.

Be aware that using a, b, c as year suffices in case the authors produced several works in the same year is currently not possible. The bibliography tool of Microsoft does not support such a thing. In time, I will extend BibWord so it supports such a feature. But as this functionality is not defined by Microsoft, it will be an external tool such as BibOrder.

Yves