Omitting title in APA5 or 6

Mar 6, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Edited Mar 6, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Does anybody know how to change apa5 or 6 style to omit the title when citing the two og three works from same author? Can anybody help me?

Coordinator
Mar 6, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Put your cursor on the citation and right click. From the context menu, pick 'Edit Citation'. Then check the box to suppress the year.

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Thanks for replying. What I meant was: Is it possible to do this automatically? Maybe implemented in the style?

Coordinator
Mar 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM

If you are talking about in-text citations, then the short answer is no. In-text citations have almost no knowledge of their surroundings. They can't tell if they have been used before or not. The only thing they know is whether they are part of a group or not, and whether they are at the boundaries of that group or not. They don't even know who else is with them in that group.

There is a workaround though. Nobody is stopping you from writing a macro which does post-processing on all citation fields. You would have to implement your own logic of course but it is doable. Something along the lines of:

For Each fld In ActiveDocument.Fields
    If fld.Type = wdFieldCitation Then
        fld.Select
        ' do something
    End If
Next

If you are talking about the bibliography, then it is certainly possible, but it will require a good deal of knowledge of XSLT. And if you have to start from the styles which come with Word, it is even more problematic as they are very difficult to understand. There is very little logic in the way they are build.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I am referring to in-text citations

I'm a newbie in writing macros

If I would add /t to each citation code, what should I then write where you write do something?

Thanks for your help!

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I just found out that it is a known bug. Look at: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/apa-mla-chicago-automatically-format-bibliographies-HA102435469.aspx . Could anyone fix it?? Maybe with a macro?

Coordinator
Mar 6, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Isn't it enough to suppress all titles? Then you should only get (author, year) citations. But I'm no expert at APA.

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:56 AM

The problem is i have a text with 500 citations from the same author from multiple sources written in iso, so it will take very long time to convert them manually. Therefore I would like to create a scipt doing that. (add /t to each field)

My idea is:

Sub remove_title_in_txt_citations()
'
' remove_title_in_txt_citations Makro
'
For Each fld In ActiveDocument.Fields
    If fld.Type = wdFieldCitation Then
        fld.Select
        Dim cite As String
            If InStr(1, cite, "/t") = 0 Then
                Dim ende As String
                Dim newcite As String