How to change number of authors showed in bibliography?

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Hello everyone!

First of all, sorry for my really basic questions. However I hope that anyone will give me some support.

As I want to change the style of my bibliography I came across many hints how to do that (and nearly all referred to this site in one way or another).

I think I now have basic understanding of how to for example change the brackets surrounding the citation.

I chose the "ISO690Nmerical.xsl" and wanted to change it the way that

1) citation brackets "(" are replaced with "["

- my problem: the section where they are defined looks like:

<xsl:template name="templ_prop_OpenBracket" >
    <xsl:param name="LCID" />
    <xsl:variable name="_LCID">
      <xsl:call-template name="localLCID">
        <xsl:with-param name="LCID" select="$LCID"/>
      </xsl:call-template>
    </xsl:variable>
    <xsl:value-of select="/*/b:Locals/b:Local[@LCID=$_LCID]/b:General/b:OpenBracket"/>
  </xsl:template>

On several sites I found a section where ">(<" seems to define the bracket. But I can't find this in the standard word files.

2) a full list authors shows up in the bibliography (no et. al)

I honestly didn't understand how to do that. The bibliography seems to show up to 6 authors. Can I simply increase this amount?

If I change the citation format from Iso690Numerical to Iso690 all authors show up but I don't have a numeric reference anymore...

I'm aware that this seems to be a quite simple "problem" for you but I'd anyway be glad if someone helps me.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Coordinator
Nov 11, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Regarding 1.

The OpenBracket definition is loaded from a Word resource. There is no way you will be able to change that.

However, you don't need to change that. Wherever a call to templ_prop_OpenBracket is made, you can just replace the call with a simple <xsl:text>(</xsl:text>. The easiest way to find where to replace them is to look for FirstAuthor, LastAuthor entries as described at http://bibword.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=FAQ&referringTitle=Home#Q6

Note that you can already find a style with those changes incorporated at http://bibword.codeplex.com/releases/view/14646

Regarding 2.

Yes. IIRC the styles that come with Word, have that number hardcoded or read from a resource. You have the best chance of finding it  by looking for routines called something similar to "formatPersons".

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Hey,

thank you a lot for answering my question! I tried to implement your hint regarding question 1. I finally lost my brackets at all after replacing the call ;) so I decided to abandon the thought of "creating" my own bibliography.

I'm afraid I'm lacking too much basic knowledge about xml...

Instead I took your linked file with beautiful square brackets. Thanks a lot!

I also tried to increase the number of authors in the way you suggested. Finally the "et al." disappeared but the remaining authors were not shown instead. After quite a long time playing around with some parts of this routine I also gave up on this...

May it have something to do with this part:

<xsl:variable name="cMaxAllow">

<xsl:choose>
                <xsl:when test="$cMaxAuthor > ../b:_MaxAuthor and ../b:_MaxAuthor > 0">
                    <xsl:value-of select="../b:_MaxAuthor"/>
                </xsl:when>
                <xsl:otherwise>
                    <xsl:value-of select="$cMaxAuthor"/>
                </xsl:otherwise>
            </xsl:choose>
        </xsl:variable>

I'm not sure but instead of defining concrete numbers there's always a reference to other templates if that's the right term.

Maybe you have an idea or know a citation style that is similar to this one!?

I'd be very glad if I can get this done.

Greetings & Thanks