Bibliography entries in different lines/paragraphs

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Hi, Yves. I've been confronted with a demanding bibliography style for a periodical. The author/editor must be in the first line, no indentation, in small caps (!), the second line (actually, a new paragraph with line space 1) starts with the year of publication and the rest of the information comes indented. I can handle this second part, but I have no idea how to make the two lines nor how to change only the first line to small caps. Can you please give me a hand or a hint on this? Mercì beaucoup.

Rafael J

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:01 AM

I currently don't have the time to try it, but you could try adding

in the middle of your format string. As a bibliography entry is normally just a paragraph and wrapped between <p> and </p>, adding &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; might trick the creation of a second paragraph. If it works, I would try

&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="msobibliography"&gt;

That way you could set the formatting directly in Word through the bibliography style.

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Oh, that was nice. I had already tried myself with <br>, but it just inserted a line break, with the expectaed complications. The <p></p> tags do the trick, to some extent. As I need small caps for the first line, and don't want this line to be spaced different, I actually have to define a second style for this line only and apply it individually. No way, I understand I have to do it. But What I also would like to know is how to insert a Tab in the xml code so I can align things better in my second paragraph. What's the code for that (if there's any)? I've tried with &#009; and &#9; with no results.

But thanks a lot for your time and your reply.

Rafael J

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Wrap the small-caps line in a span to overwrite the default style and you should be fine.

Something like

&lt;span style="font-variant: small-caps"&gt;%Author:0%&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;

Tabs are probably possible if you wrap then inside a cdata element but I never tried it:

But tabs are generally a bad idea to use since alignment can shift too easily.