How to inhibit auto-space before citation?

Mar 18, 2011 at 5:29 PM
Edited Mar 18, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Hi,

for some reasons, I had to switch from LaTeX to word for my thesis. Now I got the bibliography and citations styled and formatted as I wanted but I have one little problem left:

I deleted the <closebracket> and <openbracket> contents to decide myself, if and when I want to add parentheses to my citations. All of this works fine BUT Word seems to want to have a space in front of the citation. So, when I enclose the citation like this: (Smith et al., 2007) it end up like this: (_Smith et al., 2007).

This is not the case if it is in the text, e.g. " in the paper by Smith et al., 2007" etc. (no double space in front of "Smith"). I guess Word tries to auto-separate the citation from what came before and it doesn't if it finds a space there.

Is there any way to suppress this behavior. Help is very much appreciated. Oh yes I use Word 2010 and a modified version of HarvardAnglia.XSL (i think).

Regards,

Mathias

Coordinator
Mar 19, 2011 at 12:16 AM

I haven't tried it myself, but according to http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=120446 wrapping the in-text citation in a quote works.

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:58 PM
Edited Mar 20, 2011 at 2:58 PM
yves wrote:

I haven't tried it myself, but according to http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=120446 wrapping the in-text citation in a quote works.

Indeed, this works. After trying this a little, I found they way it works for me:

1. Create a quote with the text <space><close parenthenses>.
  2. Temporaryly create a citation field nearby (I'm not sure this is necessary but it works that way for me)
  3. Remove quotation marks in the quote field
  4. Copy the citation in between the space and the next symbol ")" in my case.
  5. Remove the initial space; actualise field.

This way, it really works. Quite a difficult workaround. I would like it better if Word would easily allow for a customized citation formatting (also, different for each citation) similar to the "suppress year/author" function.

Thanks again,

Mathias