ABNT citation

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Hi!

I have a problem in citation using ABNT: when there are more than four authors, it appears with two of them plus the expression "et al." For example, (COELLI, RAO, et al., 1993).

In bibliography, it shows correctly, like "COELLI, T. et al. Data Envelopment Analys.....".

How should I fix it?

Thanx.

Coordinator
Oct 18, 2010 at 4:11 PM

You shouldn't. If there are more than 3 authors for a work, the first 2 should be shown in the in-text citation followed by et al.

If you don't agree with this, you can easily change it though. Look for the following line:

<list name="citation" id="1">

A couple of lines lower you will find

<max_number_of_persons_to_display>3</max_number_of_persons_to_display>
<number_of_persons_to_display_if_more_than_max>2</number_of_persons_to_display_if_more_than_max>

Change the value from 2 to 1 to get what you want.

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:45 AM

Yves,

Thank you very much for your quick response.

I could not understand what you said. I mean if there is two authors plus et al. in citation and one author plus et al. in bibliography, how do I suppose to find it there?

Let me explain with an example because my English is not so good.

there are two texts: one from COELLI, T.; BATTESE, G.; RAO, S. and YAISIWARNG, W.  and other from COELLI, T.; FRIED, H.; SCHMIDT, S. and LOVELL, C.. Both were written in 2002.

In bibliography it would show COELLI, T et al. Name of Book ... and COELLI, T. et al. Name of Other Book...

In citation it would show (COELLI, BATTESE, et al., 2002) and (COELLI, FRIED, et al. 2002). 

Can you see the problem? The reader would never know which book I wrote about.

But if you say that two authors in citation and one in bibliography is correct, I gonna keep it that way, because I am not an expert in it.

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2010 at 8:02 AM

I'm not saying it is logical, it is just how the specifications indicate it. I guess it comes from having a different standard for in-text citations and for bibliographies. Although the current version of the style is correct, I'm considering to change it to make it more logical.

Oct 21, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Hey Yves, only one more little thing: the word "Disponivel" in ABNT style misses a tilde. The correct word is "Disponível", not "Disponivel".