Problem with APA - DOI style

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Hello,
I'm using the French version of Word 2010.

I've downloaded the APA - DOI style, but I've been forced to convert the XML file into an XSL file to make it work.

Nevertheless, when I try to create a new source with this style, I don't see the DOI field (when I open both APA - DOI and APA files with Oxygen XML editor, I've the impression that they've the same XSL codes). Is it normal ? If not, could you help me to fix the problem ?

Many thanks,

Rémy LASSERRE.

Coordinator
Sep 20, 2010 at 7:36 PM

The style file (APA - DOI.xsl) has the extension xsl when you download it. If it doesn't, then your browser is changing file types. That sounds rather dangerous to me. Anyway, the style file is the same in every language. If you only copy this file, the source editor in Word will not provide you with a field to enter the DOI code. However, if you already entered DOI information through some other tool into the document, then the style will display the information in the bibliography.

The bibform file (bibform.xml) has the extension xml. There is a different version for every language the user interface of Word exists in. This file is responsible for the DOI field showing up in Word when you enter or edit a source. It has no influence on how your source is displayed in your bibliography. If you are using a non-English copy of Word you will either have to adapt your own bibform.xml or replace it with the English one I provided. Note that if you replace yours with the one provided here the entire source dialog will become English.

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Thank you for answering me so quickly.

I prefer the first solution because I want to display the DOI information in the bibliography. Where can I enter this information in my document to do so ?

Best regards,

Rémy LASSERRE.

Coordinator
Sep 21, 2010 at 8:31 AM

I think you are misunderstanding what I'm trying to explain.

Basically the bibliography tool in Word consists of 2 parts:

• the first part is responsible for showing the dialog in Word where you can enter the information (author, title, ...). This is the task of bibform.xml.
  • the second part is responsible for actually generating the bibliography from the data you entered. This is the task of APA - DOI.xsl.

There is NO (direct) connection between those two parts. Hence, you can change one part without affecting the other part.

You need bibform.xml or your translated version to enter the data into the dialog. Only when you entered the data, the APA - DOI.xsl can incorporate it when generating the bibliography...

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:56 AM

I'm sorry because I didn't understand your first explanations. Now, it's perfectly clear that I need to download both bibform and APA - DOI files. What got me wrong is the expression "other available downloads" on the page http://bibword.codeplex.com/releases/view/44118 so I thought it was optional to download bibform.xml.

For everybody to understand, the same way you wrote "The file attached to this release is for an English - International version of Microsoft Word 2007/2010, i.e., the LCID code is 1033", you should write on this page that "you need to download both bibform and APA - DOI files to create a DOI field in the dialog and to display the DOI information in the bibliography".

At the end, you should warn everybody to never use the Opera browser to download APA - DOI.xsl, because I checked it and it force you to download the file with the extension xml.

Thank you sincerely,

Rémy LASSERRE.