Removing parentheses?

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Hello,

We need all parentheses removed.  Because some of our project team uses footnotes, we've decided that it would be easier to remove all parentheses.  Right now, we're using the Chicago style.

Now I've already searched the boards and online.  I've tried deleting the code openBracket and closeBracket.  It isn't working at all. 

Here's some of the things that I've already tried:

http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=128740

http://bibword.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=81820&ANCHOR

Any help would be appreciated and many thanks!

Coordinator
Jun 25, 2010 at 7:21 PM

That first link is all you need, although there seems to be some < and > missing obviously. Probably an issue with the forum you are viewing that message on as it was originally posted elsewhere.

I'm not sure what you think the connection is with that second link.

The xslt you have to remove is actually the same in the Chicago style as those posted for APA. Just look for

<xsl:if test="msxsl:node-set($ListPopulatedWithMain)/b:Citation/b:FirstAuthor">
  <xsl:call-template name="templ_prop_OpenBracket"/>
</xsl:if>

and

<xsl:if test="/b:Citation/b:LastAuthor">
  <xsl:call-template name="templ_prop_CloseBracket"/>
</xsl:if>

If you say that that didn't work, what exactly did you remove? And what was the result? If you saw something like "invalid source specified" then you most likely wrecked the xslt file. That is, you removed something making the XSLT file invalid.

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Hi Yves,

Thanks for your help!  I took out those code lines.  But I'm still seeing brackets when I
insert the citation into the body of the document.

For example:

This is a sentence that is being cited. (FineganWalters 2010)

Because we rely on footnotes for a lot of our docs, instead of seeing
" (FineganWalters 2010) " ...
could we just have "   FineganWalters 2010   "  with no parentheses.

Coordinator
Jun 28, 2010 at 3:40 PM

I just retried it, removing those 6 lines removes the brackets. Are you sure they aren't removed when you try? Have you tried on a blank document? You do know that to make the changes visible in a document you created using the old (unchanged) style, you do have to update the fields? The easiest way to do so is by selecting another style (e.g. APA) and then selecting the requested style (Chicago) again.

If the brackets are still there, are you using some home-made version of the style rather than the one delivered with Word 2007/2010?