Bugs in Harvard Exeter (FAO Yves Dhondt)

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Hi all,
Firstly, many thanks for this fantastically helpful open source project. I am a a PhD student in the social sciences and am extremely grateful for the BibWord citation styles, especially 'Harvard Exeter', which most closely approximates the referencing requirements of the three UK universities I have studied at. I would just like to draw attention to a couple of minor problems. If these have already been raised or are not resolvable, please excuse my ignorance, this is the first time I have visited the site since I downloaded the styles last October, and I am far from au fait with the technical jargon used in the discussion pages.

1. When citing a chapter in an edited volume, where there is more than one editor, the text in the bibliography should read '(eds.)' (plural) but instead appears as '(ed.)' (singular).
2. When citing a website, the date appears with no spaces, so that 29 March appears as '29March'. I have been adding a space after the '29' in the date field, which corrects this issue in individual cases, but obviously it would be nice if this were globally updated.
3. As far as I can tell, from the three institutions I have attended for my BA, MA and PhD - all of which claim to use a generic 'Harvard' referencing format - it is also the norm that the square brackets containing the date a website was accessed in the bibliography should include 'accessed', so that instead of simply '[29 March 2010]', it should be '[Accessed 29 March 2010]'.

Once again, I am very much indebted to you for your time and effort in producing these Word citation styles, and my comments should not be seen as criticism but rather as suggestions for future development. Presumably the name 'Harvard Exeter' indicates that this particular form of Harvard referencing is taken from a model used by Exeter University. If this is the case, and the changes I have suggested are not in keeping with the Exeter referencing requirements, these are nonetheless the preferred formats at the University of East London, London Metropolitan University and the University of Reading, and might therefore be of use in constructing a more general 'UK Harvard' style.

Best regards,
Ben

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Just remembered (as I returned to my document to carry on working :) ), one last issue - when multiple citations are given for a single sentence/paragraph, there is no space between the semi-colon and the next citation, so that it might appear as '(Bhaskar, 1978;Callinicos, 2006)', when it should be '(Bhaskar 1978; Callinicos, 2006)'. For me, this is actually the most serious problem as fixing it on an ad hoc basis requires the conversion of citations into plain text, and therefore removes them from the automatic update system etc.
Thanks,
Ben

Coordinator
Apr 18, 2010 at 12:50 PM

The Harvard-Exeter style is an implementation of http://education.exeter.ac.uk/dll/studyskills/harvard_referencing.htm

Regarding your issues:

1. According to the above page, you should not be using "(eds.)". Just look for the following example on the page:

Byrne, J. (1995) ‘Disabilities in tertiary education’, in Rowan, L. and McNamee, J. (ed.) Voices of a Margin, Rockhampton: CQU Press.

Note that if you want to change this, you could easily do so by adding an "s" in the following line:

<multi_suffix> (ed.)</multi_suffix>

2. This is indeed a bug and will be fixed today.

3. According to the above page, "Accessed" should not be added. There are several examples on the above mentioned page:

Young, C. (2001) English Heritage position statement on the Valletta Convention, [Online], Available: http://www.archaeol.freeuk.com/EHPostionStatement.htm [24 Aug 2001].

Of course, you are free to change that yourself. Just look for

{ [{{%DayAccessed% }%MonthAccessed:s% }%YearAccessed%]}

And add "Accessed " after the "[".

4. This is indeed a bug and will be fixed today.

May 10, 2010 at 1:16 PM
Hi, I've had difficulties with the missing space as mentioned by benwitham in his second post. I downloaded the citation styles right after this post, but still encounter the problem, so I guess the changes haven't been made yet. Is there any way to edit the citation style to add that space there by myself? What would I need to change to get it right? I've made a few adaptations to the style to match my university's requirements and would hate to lose those.... Thanks a lot!
Coordinator
May 10, 2010 at 5:56 PM

No, that was fixed on April, 18th. If it isn't in your copy, you must be using an older version.

Anyway, in your style look for

<separator>

the value following it, is the separator between in-text citations. It currently is set to "; " (without the brackets).

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:37 PM
Dear Yves,

Thanks again for your help before in bugfixing Harvard Exeter style and for your advice on how to change the code to suit my university's style requirements.

Bit of an odd request, but I was just wondering if you have a .pdf of the MHRA Style Manual on which you based the MHRA-Footnote style? They still offer the manual for free as a .pdf at the link you provided but the file seems to be corrupted. I have downloaded it several times and made sure my Acrobat reader is up-to-date (ver 9.3.3) but still no success. If you have a working copy of the manual and could either upload it or e-mail it to me it would be much appreciated. I will e-mail the MHRA to let them know there is an issue but expect they will take some time to resolve it.

Many thanks,
Ben

To: [email removed]
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 04:51:06 -0700
Subject: Re: Bugs in Harvard Exeter (FAO Yves Dhondt) [bibword:209695]

The Harvard-Exeter style is an implementation of http://education.exeter.ac.uk/dll/studyskills/harvard_referencing.htm
Regarding your issues:
1. According to the above page, you should not be using "(eds.)". Just look for the following example on the page:
Byrne, J. (1995) ‘Disabilities in tertiary education’, in Rowan, L. and McNamee, J. (ed.) Voices of a Margin, Rockhampton: CQU Press.
Note that if you want to change this, you could easily do so by adding an "s" in the following line:
<multi_suffix> (ed.)</multi_suffix>
2. This is indeed a bug and will be fixed today.
3. According to the above page, "Accessed" should not be added. There are several examples on the above mentioned page:
Young, C. (2001) English Heritage position statement on the Valletta Convention, [Online], Available: http://www.archaeol.freeuk.com/EHPostionStatement.htm [24 Aug 2001].
Of course, you are free to change that yourself. Just look for
{ [{{%DayAccessed% }%MonthAccessed:s% }%YearAccessed%]}
And add "Accessed " after the "[".
4. This is indeed a bug and will be fixed today.
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (bibword@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email bibword@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Hotmail has tools for the New Busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Learn more.
Coordinator
Jun 30, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I don't have a copy around. I just downloaded a new version of the style from their site without a problem (http://www.mhra.org.uk/Publications/Books/StyleGuide/StyleGuideV2_3.pdf). On this machine, I'm still using Acrobat Reader 8, and even with that version it still opens fine.