IEEE - Alphabetical Order

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Hey,

how to replace [number] by [Author, year] in IEEE - alphabetical order ?

Example:

1. Book chapter/Section

Anderson (incollection) [1]

Bibliography

[1] J. B. Anderson and K. Tepe, "Properties of the Tailbiting BCJR Decoder," in Codes, Systems and Graphical Models. New York: Springer-Verlag, 2000.

REPLACE

1. Book chapter/Section

Anderson (incollection) [Anderson, 2000]

Bibliography

[Anderson, 2000] J. B. Anderson and K. Tepe, "Properties of the Tailbiting BCJR Decoder," in Codes, Systems and Graphical Models. New York: Springer-Verlag, 2000.

Thanks,

Ragnol

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Sorry, is not [number] but [BO].

Example:

1. Book chapter/Section

Anderson (incollection) [BO]

Bibliography

[BO] J. B. Anderson and K. Tepe, "Properties of the Tailbiting BCJR Decoder," in Codes, Systems and Graphical Models. New York: Springer-Verlag, 2000.

REPLACE

1. Book chapter/Section

Anderson (incollection) [Anderson, 2000]

Bibliography

[Anderson, 2000] J. B. Anderson and K. Tepe, "Properties of the Tailbiting BCJR Decoder," in Codes, Systems and Graphical Models. New York: Springer-Verlag, 2000.

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2010 at 2:39 PM

For in-text citations, you will have to change

<format>{%BibOrder|"BO"%}</format>

into something along the lines of

<format>{%Author:5|Title%}{, %Year%}</format>

Note that you will have to define how the namelist with id equal to 5 formats names. For more information on name formatting, see the documentation.

For bibliographies, you will have to think about your layout first. Currently, the IEEE styles use a 2 column layout. The first column contains the number (or BO in your case) while the second column contains the formatted entry. This layout was chosen to align entries with one another or with themselves if they consist of multiple lines. In your case, I doubt this is a good idea.

The fastest way would be to delete all elements of the form:

<column id="1">
</column>

Next change the id from 2 to 1 in all elements of the form:

<column id="2">
</column>

Then change the numbers of columns in your layout from 2 to 1:

<columns>2</columns>

Now your entries will be sorted, but nothing will be in front of them. You can add the extra parts to the format string to get the formatting you require. For more information on format strings, see the documentation. Don't forget to add the r option, otherwise the author and year will not be displayed twice (once in your prefix, once in your actual reference).

The above changes are the 'quick' and dirty way. You should consider what should happen if Anderson published 2 articles in 2000. If you want to start using year suffices, you will have to fall back to the Extender tool. Not a problem, but you will have to extend your stylesheet to support this. I would suggest taking a look at the Harvard styles in that case. They offer such functionality and might be a good starting point.

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:42 AM

Hi Yves,

Thanks for your help.

May 31, 2010 at 11:16 AM
Edited Jun 1, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Hi Ragnol,

I have exactly the same request. Would you please send your modified files and stylesheets?

Thanks,

Matthieu

EDIT: followed the instructions and it works fine... not managing multiple publications from the same author, the same year.

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Hi Matthieu,

Finally, I don't use IEEE - alphabetical order but I use Harvard Exeter.

But, I replaced:

<bibliography>

<columns>1</columns>
- <source type="Placeholder">
- <column id="1">
  <halign>left</halign>
  <valign>top</valign>
  <format>[[%Tag%]]</format>
  </column>
  </source>
- <source type="ArticleInAPeriodical">
- <column id="1">
  <halign>left</halign>
  <valign>top</valign>
  <format>{%Author:2%{ (%Year|"n.d"%{%YearSuffix%})}}{ '%Title|ShortTitle%'{, <i>%PeriodicalTitle%</i>}}{ <i>%PeriodicalTitle%</i>}{ ({{%Day% }%Month:s% }%Year%)}{, {%Day% }%Month:s%}{, %Pages:p. :pp. %}{, Available: %URL%{ [{{%DayAccessed% }%MonthAccessed:s% }%YearAccessed%]}}.</format>
  </column>
  <sortkey>{%Author:0|Title|ShortTitle%}{ %Year%}{ %Title|ShortTitle%}</sortkey>
  </source>

By

<bibliography>
  <columns>2</columns>
- <source type="Placeholder">
- <column id="1">
  <halign>left</halign>
  <valign>top</valign>
  <format>[xx]</format>
  </column>
- <column id="2">
  <halign>left</halign>
  <valign>top</valign>
  <format>[[%Tag%]]</format>
  </column>
  </source>
- <source type="ArticleInAPeriodical">
- <column id="1">
  <halign>left</halign>
  <valign>top</valign>
  <format>[{%CitationPrefix%}{%Author:1|ShortTitle|Title%, }{%Year|"n.d."%{%YearSuffix%}}{: %CitationPages::%}{%CitationSuffix%}]</format>
  </column>
- <column id="2">
  <halign>left</halign>
  <valign>top</valign>
  <format>{%Author:2%{ (%Year|"n.d"%{%YearSuffix%})}}{ '%Title|ShortTitle%'{, <i>%PeriodicalTitle%</i>}}{ <i>%PeriodicalTitle%</i>}{ ({{%Day% }%Month:s% }%Year%)}{, {%Day% }%Month:s%}{, %Pages:p. :pp. %}{, Available: %URL%{ [{{%DayAccessed% }%MonthAccessed:s% }%YearAccessed%]}}.</format>
  </column>
  <sortkey>{%Author:0|Title|ShortTitle%}{ %Year%}{ %Title|ShortTitle%}</sortkey>
  </source>

and so on for Book, Booksection....

Best regards,

Ragnol
Coordinator
Jun 2, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Although the above code will work, it contains unavailable information. In a bibliography, you don't have access to variables starting with Citation (CitationPrefix, CitationSuffix, and CitationPages here)