ISO 690 Numerical - journal articles

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:30 AM

I'm using the ISO 690 Numerical template. When I insert a reference for a journal article, the title appears first then the author. I'd like for the author to come up first, then the article title. Is there any way to do this?

Coordinator
Mar 31, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Yes, edit the style :-)

See if http://bibword.codeplex.com/releases/view/17634 helps.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I'm afraid I have no idea where to start with editing the style. Could you point me in the direction of the bit to edit?

Coordinator
Mar 31, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I no longer edit any of the styles that come with Word. They are just too messy. BibWord was designed to avoid such a mess in the future.

However, the style I pointed to is an adaptation of the ISO 690 (non numerical) style where the author is always put first. Your options are to extend this method to the numerical version or to locate the differences with the original style and then 'copy' those differences to the ISO 690 - Numerical Reference style.

Personally, I would go for the first option, as adding a simple number in front is pretty straightforward.

Mar 31, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Straightforward enough that someone with no style editing/html knowledge can do it?

Coordinator
Mar 31, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Well, maybe not, but some simple thinking should get you on your way. For starters, if you use a numbered style, you would want to remove the sorting. So any

<xsl:sort select="b:SortingString" />

would probably have to be replaced by a

<xsl:sort select="b:RefOrder" data-type="number"/>

Then adding a number in front of a bibliography entry would be done by tracking down the start of each entry, which is typically a html paragraph

<xsl:element name="p">

and add a

<xsl:value-of select="b:RefOrder"/>

followed by a period, or surrounded by brackets. 

But what you should be asking yourself if this is really the format that you want. I'm no expert on the ISO 690 format, but I would think that once you start changing the stylesheet, it is no longer ISO 690 compliant. So what type of style are you actually trying to create? Is it a specific one? Or are you just looking for a numbered style where the author is always the first element? In the latter case, you might want to consider some of the numeric styles on this site like the IEEE one.

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Ah great. Thank you.

I don't need it to be ISO compliant, it's just that this style suits my needs best (ignoring the ordering issues).