Modify Harvard Leeds Style

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:25 PM

I need to modify the harvard style of my thesis to the following

In the text (Brown, 1998, p2)

i.e. just the persons surname in small letters with the first letter in capitals.

Bibliography  Brown, J.E., The Little Brown Book, New York, Harper Collins Publisher

For more info see the university guidelines here http://www.ucd.ie/adulted/studyskills/referencing.htm

Is this possible.

I have my thesis complete and need to get this amended. For my thesis I used Harvard Leeds style.

I am not very good at changing codes and file info so i'd appreciate if you could tell me where and what to change and if I could just copy it in if possible.

Thanks in advance

C

Coordinator
Mar 25, 2010 at 10:48 PM

I don't do requests for styles. This is a spare time project for me and I can't dedicate all that much time to it. That said, I do try to provide help for specific questions regarding the tools on this site or strange formatting requests for a specific source type. Of course, if somebody else wants to help you, they are free to do so :-)

When entering sources in Word, it is important that you format the names correctly yourself. That is, you should already provide normal capitalization. BibWord styles are able to convert names to all lowercase or all uppercase and even abbreviate them for you, but they can't guess what the correct capitalization of a name is.

As the Harvard - Leeds style capitalizes names in the bibliography and they aren't in your example, I would suggest that you first take a look at the other Harvard implementation on this site. Exeter might fit your needs better. Names correctly formatted, year between brackets, ... 

On a side note, your example for a bibliography entry is not correct as it doesn't contain the year. It would be pretty useless to identify a citation in the text by both the combination of name and year if the year wasn't used in the final bibliography.