hyperlinks

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Hi, I have edited the Harvard - Leeds style, to fit the Birmingham standard. One thing I cant manage to do however is get rid of the hyperlinks. How do I stop it turning the URL addresses into a link? I have tried deleting some parts of the style that I can see correspond to the formatting of the URL but then in my document the whole URL disappears!

Roob

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2010 at 11:33 PM

You don't have to manipulate the style, you just have to change your format string.

Change

%URL:l%

into

%URL%

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Thanks, but when I did this before, the whole URL disappeared in the document. No idea why. The way I got around this was simply to delete part of the URL formatting template where it adds the hyperlink. Before I had been deleting too much and deleting the "display URL" bit. It works so I'm happy.

By the way if anyone reads this and wants the University of Birmingham style, get in touch.

Coordinator
Mar 24, 2010 at 10:48 AM

There have been issues with hyperlinks displayed between < and > in the past. Is that something you are doing by any chance? Could you post the formatstring?

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:52 PM

I think you are right, that was the problem.

The old format string - example is for InternetSite

<format>{%Author:2%.{ %Year|"n.d."%{%YearSuffix%}.}}{ <b>%Title|ShortTitle|InternetSiteTitle%</b>.{ %Year%{%YearSuffix%}.}} [online].{ Available from World Wide Web: <%URL:l%>}{ [Accessed {{%DayAccessed% }%MonthAccessed:s% }%YearAccessed%].}<format>

The old URL format template

<!-- Formats an URL. -->
  <xsl:template name="format-url">
    <!-- URL to format. -->
    <xsl:param name="url" />
    <!-- Formatting options. Currently only 'l' for link is supported. -->
    <xsl:param name="options" />
    <xsl:if test="string-length($url) &gt; 0">
      <!-- Open tag. -->
      <xsl:if test="$options = 'l'">
        <xsl:text>&lt;a href="</xsl:text>
        <xsl:value-of select="$url" />
        <xsl:text>"&gt;</xsl:text>
      </xsl:if>
      <!-- Display URL. -->
      <xsl:value-of select="$url" />
      <!-- Close tag. -->
      <xsl:if test="$options = 'l'">
        <xsl:text>&lt;/a&gt;</xsl:text>
  </xsl:template>

The new format string - example for InternetSite again

<format>{%Author:2%.{ %Year|&quot;n.d.&quot;%{%YearSuffix%}.}}{ &lt;b&gt;%Title|ShortTitle|InternetSiteTitle%&lt;/b&gt;.{ %Year%{%YearSuffix%}.}} [online].{ Available from World Wide Web: &amp;lt;%URL%&amp;gt;}{ [Accessed {{%DayAccessed% }%MonthAccessed:s% }%YearAccessed%].}</format>

Te new URL Format Template

<!-- Formats an URL. -->
<xsl:template name="format-url">
<!-- URL to format. --> 
<xsl:param name="url"/>
<!-- Formatting options. Currently only 'l' for link is supported. -->    <xsl:param name="options"/>
    <xsl:if test="string-length($url) > 0">
<!-- Open tag. --><!-- Display URL. -->
<xsl:value-of select="$url"/>
<!-- Close tag. -->
  </xsl:template>

I dont know whether this whole thing was necessary, but it works very well. By the way, what editor (opensource or other free) is good to use? I've been using notepad, but I figure there must be an easier way... even something that simply highlights and can minimise/expand would be great! Im definitely no programmer, but I use Matlab alot, and can manipulate existing code alright!

Coordinator
Mar 24, 2010 at 6:53 PM

I use Visual Studio but that is rather expensive if you don't need it for your work. There are the express editions which are free. According to the screenshots, http://www.microsoft.com/express/Web/ should offer what you need.

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Thanks, I realise they have it at my University, and I was also able to download the pro version free from MSDN Academic Alliance! Score!