Creation of a simple program to auto-generate style sheet

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Hi, perhaps this has been covered before.  I just wanted to know if it would be possible to generate a simple program (kind of like bib word extender tool or something) where there is a list of all the fields on the left.  And you can select the type of reference, like book, journal etc on the top.  And on the right you could click and drag the fields to however you want to order it.  Then you could say compile style sheet.

I don't think it should be too hard, the program could do all the editing as a text file and then save it as an XSLT file at the end.  It would save every body having to code themselves, and you could use building blocks from what you have already created?.

Just thought of it as a good idea?, would probably save time of having to create each referencing style individually.

I can help with some of the coding, but I suppose the program language, gui, and these things would have to be decided upon?  It might be a bit much for one person but maybe we can get some people to help.

Regards

Thanks for the great style sheets.

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Technically it shouldn't be all that hard to create a GUI to make the creation of new styles easier. All the important data is nicely grouped together.

Originally I had the intention of creating the GUI myself. Unfortunately, lack of time and a move to some other interesting projects made me forget about the project. I do have a few pieces of C# code which can load some basic data from the XSLT and which provide wizards to generate contributor format strings. Drop me a private note if you are interested in them, and I will mail you the code.

Note that I plan on rolling out a new version of BibWord in a couple of months which will use a different internal structure. The main things like namelists, format strings, ... will remain the same however. So if you plan on creating a GUI, you better try to keeep the data separate from the ui.

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:24 AM

I've thought about that too! but I don't know how to do that...

good luck to anyone who'd make this program!